Spices in the carboy or not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
I just completed a batch of wicked witbier which includes, among other spices, orange peel and coriander seed. Should I include these spices in the carboy or filter them out? Or is this one of this "personal preference" things?

I'd filter them out. If you added them to the boil you extracted a bunch of flavor/aroma from them.

Also, what does the recipe say?

B

I just brewed a Kiwit(Belgian wit with kiwi instead of orange). That recipe called for adding the kiwi and corriander during the last 10 min of the boil. However it also specified to add the kiwi into the primary as well. I juse used a sanitized spoon to scoop them into the carboy(note that I would highly recommend a bucket over a carboy for this).

Hope that helps.

@dummkauf-I made a Kiwit several years back when there was a recipe for it in BYO. I wish I'd have used a bucket! It took a LOT of shaking to get all of the kiwi out of the carboy. Also, it would be a good idea to line the bucket w/ a 5 gallon paint bag to make it easier to get all the kiwi out.

I was happy with my kiwit, hope yours turns out good too.

Latest posts

Back