Can you get bottle bomb from champagne bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naeco

Reaction score
I purchased some champagne bottle for my carb cider and was wondering if I still have to pasteurize the cider to kill the yeast and stop fermentation once desires carbonation is reached or if these bottle are design to safely be this pressurized?

If pasteurization is required, I got this info off the message board and would like to know if it's correct:
prepare a hot water bath of 190 F water, remove from heat, carefully set the bottles in the bath for ten minutes and remove; repeat until all the bottles are pasteurized

Also, would killing the yeast by pasteurizing change the taste of the cider ?

thanks

If you plan to let it ferment out anyways,

Let it ferment all the way in the fermenter, prime it like beer, and bottle.

Unless you bottle at 1.030 and let it keep going, it would be really tough to explode a champagne bottle. I've never done the bottle pasteurization, but I dont think you are heating it up hot enough for long enough to really negatively effect the flavor unless you are using fresh pressed traditional Cider apple varieties like Kingston Black or something.

But it's not just bottles exploding you need to worry about - the cider will ferment out to dry if you don't stop/kill the yeast.

The instructions above are for beer bottles, they should work for the larger champagne bottles, but I've not tried it. You could let them sit in the hot water bath a little longer to be safe.

Latest posts

Back