bottle carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thristy

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch last week. Its been in the bottle 1 week the beer is cloudy but i dont see any bubbles or a ring of bubbles in the neck. I used 5 oz of primeing sugar and the bottles are stored at 71 degrees can you see it ferminting in the bottle or not.

It should clear up some, and you should see a small yeast layer forming on the bottom of the bottle. Bubbles in the neck are a sign that the cap didn't seal fully. Keep in mind that it takes a minimum of 3 weeks at 70 to properly carb up.

It's best just to leave the bottles alone for 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that's the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Back