Paint for my Jet Burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bytemyfoot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I borrowed my father's propane jet burner (no idea what brand, doesn't seem to say anywhere) for brewing with. His condition on lending it to me was that i clean the rust off before I return it.

Is there some type of paint that will help protect against rust and can withstand the high temperatures? I'm sure he's appreciate it, it would definitely look better, and I wouldn't have to clean rust off of it again!

VHT ceramic paint from your local auto parts store. As long as you can fit the burner in your oven to cure it you will have a rock solid paint job. I was not able to cure my stand as it is too big but the paint is holding up very well without the cure.

The flame is not directly touching the paint job and that high temp paint worked well for my header on my 85 toyota out in the alaskan jungle i also was able to cure it at my friends shop who just happens to have a big oven for just this reason

You'll need to treat the rust first. If you just clean off the rust and paint over it you'll actually be trapping microscopic amounts of rust under the paint that will later cause the paint to flake off.

Use a product like Rust Mort first, it's an automotive rust converter. It'll convert the iron oxide (rust) to iron phosphate.

In the process of researching Rust Mort, I found a number of recommendations to use Picklex20 instead. Anyone know the differences/benefits of one over the other? A lot of the things I've read are about automotive cleaning/repair, so I don't know how much of what's being said applies to my situation.

In the process of researching Rust Mort, I found a number of recommendations to use Picklex20 instead. Anyone know the differences/benefits of one over the other? A lot of the things I've read are about automotive cleaning/repair, so I don't know how much of what's being said applies to my situation.

Never heard of that particular brand. You could use naval jelly too.

Latest posts

Back