Maibock anyone???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oceanbrewer

Reaction score
I know it is already June but I wanted my second batch of brew to be a Maibock. Anyone have any good suggestions for a recipe? Or for that matter a good link to a page with many different recipes.

Thanks

"Homebrew Favorites" and "More Homebrew Favorites" contain around 240 and 260 each. They contain a wide variety of recipes. Ales to Lagers, fruit beers to Porters. You might want to look into purchasing these books online.

Here's a tastey one:
Oh My Maibock

4 lb. Pale Malt Extract
4 lb. Extra Light Dry Malt Extract
½ lb. American 6-row
¼ lb. German Wheat malt
½ lb. German Pilsen
¼ lb. Carahell
¼ lb. Carapils (Dextrine)
2 oz. Chocolate
¼ lb. Victory
½ lb. Light German Munich
1 oz. Hallertau (3.4% 60 minutes)
1 oz. Hallertau (3.4% 45 minutes)
1 oz. Spalt (2.7% 30 minutes)
1 oz. Saaz (3.3 % 5 Minutes
1 vial White Labs WLP838 Southern German Lager
¼ tsp. Epson Salt
1 tsp. Irish Moss

OG: 1.070 - 1.073
FG: 1.010 - 1.013
SRM: ~14
IBU: 28
ABV: 8.1%

Instructions:
Put 2 gallons of RO water along with Epson Salt in brew pot and heat to 165ºF. Turn off heat and add Grains in Grain Bag. Stabilize temperature at 155ºF. (Do not add grains to water above 165ºF.) Let temperature rest down to 122ºF stirring grain bag gently from time to time. Leave pot uncovered during this time. After the wort has reached 122ºF, heat back up to 158ºF and hold at 158ºF for 10 minutes. Remove grain bag and let drain. Do not Squeeze grain Bag! Rinse grains by slowly pouring 1 Quart of HOT tap water over top of grain bag. Discard grains. Add 1.5 gallons of water, or 3.5 gallons if you are doing a 5-gallon boil. Add Malt extracts. Bring to boil. Make note of the time in which your boil starts, add 1 oz. of the German Hallertau Hops. Make sure your boil is a calm boil. Do not boil too hard. After 15 minutes of boil, add the other OZ. of German Hallertau hops. After 30 minutes, add 1 oz. Spalt hops along with the Irish Moss. Boil 20 more minutes and add the Saaz Hops. Boil for a final 10 minutes. Cool wort to 80ºF or colder and pitch yeast. Allow fermentation to Start at room temp. After fermentation has started, cool down to 52ºF. Ferment 14 days at 52ºF. After 14 days, allow warming back up to room temperature. Rack into secondary and cool back to 48ºF. Allow fermenting for 2 more weeks. After 2 weeks begin to "Lager". Turn down temp 2ºF each day until you reach 34ºF. Rack, bottle or keg, let condition, Enjoy!

Good luck
Wild

Back