IPA Critique. FWH & Late Hop additions only

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefchris

Reaction score
Still playing around with the grain bill, i'm focusing on the hops for now.

5.5 Gallon Batch
60 min Boil
FG 1.060
66.6 IBUs :rockin:

9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
0.25 lb Biscuit Malt
0.12 lb Special B Malt
1.25 oz Columbus [14.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 58.8 IBU
0.5 oz Columbus [14.00 %] (10 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
1.00 oz Columbus [14.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops

Mash at 150F

I'll also be trying out the No Chill method. Really excited about that.

So ... what do you guys think?

I usually make my IPA with a FWH and late additions only. It comes with a nice smooth bitterness and more flavor. I think your recipe looks good, and i love columbus!!

FWIW, when you no chill... you are still getting hop utilization in the no chill container. I say do what you feel comfortable with, but when I no chill, I credit ALL of my additions for an extra 20 minutes of utilization since the wort sits hot for a period of time.

Meaning your 60 min hops will be like 80 min
Your 10 minute hops will be like 30 minute

Basically a CUBE hop addition would be a 20 minute addition, anything that comes into the regular recipe under 20 minutes, I move to FWH. OR, if I really want some aroma, I will dry hop a little.

This is how I have had to adjust my additions, again, do what you like. But, IMHO you cannot no chill, without really looking at adjusting hop additions.

Exactly, you are looking at 96% to get that OG...

If you get 80% reliably with your system, you will hit an OG of 1.051

Hmm, that's weird. I have it set to 93% which is what I get consistently. Do you guys use beersmith or something else?

I took a screenshot of my beersmith so you guys can see and maybe spot something I'm missing. :confused:

Thanks for the tip on the hopping, Pol. I was gonna search through that monster of a thread and see if I could find something on that topic. I definately knew it was going to be different.

3568589039_ab06a79cce.jpg

Well, if you get 93% regularly, then you are close enough and good to go with the OG IMHO.

Yah, do some looking into the hop additions, as far as I know I am the only one that has posted anything about changing them and why. There was a chart in BYO that looks at hop utilization as well as temperature of the wort. This is where I have drawn my conclusion (and what little experience I have) that I am getting about 20 minutes of utilization in the cube.

It is manageable, but changes do have to be made to a degree.

Hey Pol - what do you do for aroma adds like 5 min and flameout? How are those effected?
L

If I have flavor additions under 20 minutes in duration, those go to FWH, if I want aroma, I dry hop with this method.

Now, I am not saying that my method is perfected, I will be playing with it for a while I am certain, BUT so far it has worked out fine.

Ok Pol, so my 10 min addition will actually be a flavor addition?

You're saying that you move anything that's under 20 minutes back to FWH. Do you think you get that much flavor/aroma from the FWH?

Do you strain before your wort goes into the cube to try and stop the hops from going in? It sounds like they go into the cube if you're getting another 20 minutes of utilization.

Ok Pol, so my 10 min addition will actually be a flavor addition?

You're saying that you move anything that's under 20 minutes back to FWH. Do you think you get that much flavor/aroma from the FWH?

Do you strain before your wort goes into the cube to try and stop the hops from going in? It sounds like they go into the cube if you're getting another 20 minutes of utilization.

A 10 minute addition is really a flavor addition in my book anyway... the aroma compounds are really volitile, I am not sure how much aroma you get from 10 minute additions to begin with.

I move anything under 20 minutes, that is not an aroma addition, to FWH so that I can get the flavor out of it... FWH gives a completely different perception to hops, so it isnt just like a 60 minute addition. In my experience, you get plenty of flavor from a FWH addition.

I do filter out my hops when I transfer to the cube, but as far as I am concerned the hop oils are already in my wort, they arent leaving just because I leave the leaves behind, you know? So therefore I assume 20 minutes of continued isomerization, because the oils are in the wort, not the hop at this point. The Aussies, the designers of this method (from what I know) have done research into the continued isomerization of the hop oils in late hop additions causing increased bitterness from those additions. See BYO issue March-April 2009.

Isomerization is a real variable that has to be considered when the wort temp. is still above 70-80C. Taking this into consideration I came up with my 20 minutes of increased isomerization with the hop additions. Of course this doesnt mess with the earlier additions as much, but certainly will affect those later additions where you would prefer not to have as much bitterness extracted from them.

Do what you like, no need to listen to me jabber, this is just how I see it.

I hate when people never follow up on these threads.

So I've been drinking off this beer for a while now. Actually kind of buzzing off of it now. :drunk: This beer is really good. The bitterness amazes me. I upped it to be 73 IBUs but stuck with only a FWH. Very drinkable and you would not think that the bittering units were that high if you weren't looking at the numbers. This is my first experience with FWH and I have to say I like it. NO! I Love it!

This beer has been changing since I kegged it. Went from kind of watery/body less to a very good beer over the last couple of weeks. At first the grapefruit from the Columbus really stuck out. Kind of a tart citrus, but it has mellowed and before you know it you've took 3 pints to the head.

I did change all of my hop additions according to The Pol's No Chill Hop Addition Chart®.

:mug:

I hate when people never follow up on these threads.

So I've been drinking off this beer for a while now. Actually kind of buzzing off of it now. :drunk: This beer is really good. The bitterness amazes me. I upped it to be 73 IBUs but stuck with only a FWH. Very drinkable and you would not think that the bittering units were that high if you weren't looking at the numbers. This is my first experience with FWH and I have to say I like it. NO! I Love it!

This beer has been changing since I kegged it. Went from kind of watery/body less to a very good beer over the last couple of weeks. At first the grapefruit from the Columbus really stuck out. Kind of a tart citrus, but it has mellowed and before you know it you've took 3 pints to the head.

I did change all of my hop additions according to The Pol's No Chill Hop Addition Chart®.

:mug:

You fool... dont you know that NO CHILL wont work. Didnt you read those books from the 80's? Dont you know that it is IMPOSSIBLE to make good beer this way?

Hey, I am glad that it worked for you and that you are enjoying the fruits of your labor.

Back