Pump input for Boil Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slim chillingsworth

Reaction score
i'm in the process of designing my single-tier setup and i'm looking for ideas for the input into the brew kettle. the best idea i've come up with so far is drilling a whole up top and using some copper tubing to whirlpool toward the bottom (which can be used for the jamil whirlpool chiller setup).

what is everyone else doing?

I fill my keggle through the bottom, through the ball valve that I use to drain it. It has the same QD as the rest of the rig.

Keg2- Oktoberfest
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

Here's what my return tube looks like. I wouldn't really call the effect a whirlpool. More of a gentle swirl.

FYI - I also fill from the pickup tube, and the pump has no problem.

I run my whirlpool similar to what Sparky has, except I have that setup as my dip tube. When I recirculate, I draw water of the top of the kettle and shoot it through the dip tube. This creates a very good whirlpool for me.

EDIT: The theory behind my design is two fold...
1) I seem to get a better whirlpool by spinning the bottom, perhaps because of fluid momentum or the viscus tenancies of the wort.
2) After I whirlpool, I let the wort sit and settle for 20 minutes to let a trub cone form. Then, when I drain my kettle, my dip tube is already angled against the edge of the kettle away from the hop cone. This way I don't need an external siphon to avoid the trub.

Mine return is similar to Sparky's. I don't fill through the drain though, as I have a bazooka tube on it.

BKInterior.jpg

Do you only do 10 gallon batches or doesn't it splash enough to worry about HSA or do you just plain not worry about HSA?

Another good Q.

1) I don't worry about HSA
2) Almost every batch is 10 gal
3) I can aim that return down if I'm doing a 5 gal batch

Back