Bottle carbing above 80F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodfatherX

Reaction score
I have seen several post on here lately about bottle carbing. Everyone seems to say place it in the warmest place in your house. Well I have a closet that connects to the attic. I was measuring the temp in it yesterday and at about 12:30pm it was about 85F. Is this too hot to carb in? If I were to carb at these temps, would I get any off flavors from it?

OK, selecting "the warmest place in the house"...is a usual seasonal (summer vs winter) or geographic (Wisconsin vs New Mexico) reply... ;)

I have to say right off the bat that 85F is definitely TOO WARM. :mad:

The "normal" bottle conditioning temp would be about 70F for about 2-3 weeks...close to your fermenting temp.

Check one bottle in about a week. Open and pour. Note how carbonated it is/isn't. Note the head. Is it frothy and lingers or subsides fast? If you're like the rest of us you'll be looking for thick and frothy along with sparkly bubbles. ;)

If it's not to your liking (yet) then let it sit a few more days to a week and sample another bottle.

Once it is where you like it it's time to take ALL the bottles and put them in the fridge to get cold. The cold will retard any further carbonation process.

For best results keep them cold for AT LEAST overnight. 3-7 days is much better. Actually, the beer will probably taste BEST after 2-3 weeks in the cold. It really depends on the brew style.

Good luck...now GO BREW SOMETHING!!! :mug:

OK, selecting "the warmest place in the house"...is a usual seasonal (summer vs winter) or geographic (Wisconsin vs New Mexico) reply... ;)

I have to say right off the bat that 85F is definitely TOO WARM. :mad:

The "normal" bottle conditioning temp would be about 70F for about 2-3 weeks...close to your fermenting temp.

Check one bottle in about a week. Open and pour. Note how carbonated it is/isn't. Note the head. Is it frothy and lingers or subsides fast? If you're like the rest of us you'll be looking for thick and frothy along with sparkly bubbles. ;)

If it's not to your liking (yet) then let it sit a few more days to a week and sample another bottle.

Once it is where you like it it's time to take ALL the bottles and put them in the fridge to get cold. The cold will retard any further carbonation process.

For best results keep them cold for AT LEAST overnight. 3-7 days is much better. Actually, the beer will probably taste BEST after 2-3 weeks in the cold. It really depends on the brew style.

Good luck...now GO BREW SOMETHING!!! :mug:

What He Said!

Back