American IPA Citra Bomb IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
h22lude said:
You want to increase the OG by .01? If so, that isn't going to do anything. Raising something by .01 is about 1oz DME.

I don't think 1 oz DME is the difference between 1.04 and 1.05; I'm assuming you interpreted it as .001, as in 1.040 to 1.041

I don't think 1 oz DME is the difference between 1.04 and 1.05; I'm assuming you interpreted it as .001, as in 1.040 to 1.041

That's exactly what I did lol. I saw 1 point instead of 10.

Just brewed this recipe at the beginning of the month, minus the extra .6 pounds from the DME due to what my LHBS had. Tasting notes at bottling time have me really excited to crack one of these open.

Edit: Just cracked one open after my first final exam after two weeks of bottling. The nose smells very fresh, a little tropical. The taste is citrusy(lemon-like) and definitely bitter. Light mouthfeel, and not too heavy. I could definitely have a few of these in a row... Might make this a permanent pipeliner...

Could you use wheat for the grains a citrus wheat ipa sounds good.

Sent from my HTCONE using Home Brew mobile app

What boiling volume did you use ?

Did you boil a full 6 gallons or did you partial boil like 3 gallons then filled with water before pitching.

I will be brewing this recipe soon and I don't want to mess it up.
Thanks

Neophyte here. Is this a five gallon or six gallon recipe?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Sorry. Misses it. Thanks. That's what we figured.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just tasted the beer after 7 days in the fermentor. Yummy, it's gonna be a good one.

Got 1.056 OG, fermented with WLP001 California Ale and now my FG is 1.007 after 7 days.
It seems a little bit low, this will be a stronger beer.
I will wait and see, I pitched the 3oz of Citra to dry Hop for a week.

Need to see what all the fuss is about over Cascade hops so decided to make a single hops brew.
This is the recipe i have in mind, it's a combination of other recipes i've read and what i have available:

4 kg/8.8 lb Maris otter
500 g/1.1 lb crystal malt
250 g/0.55 lb carapils malt
250 g/0.55 lb cara red malt

1 oz Cascade - 60 Min Boil
1 oz Cascade - 15 Min
1 oz Cascade - 5 Min Boil
1 oz Cascade - Flameout
1 oz Cascade - Dry Hop (week 3 to 4 of primary ferment)

Too much?

Probably go for a 60min boil as most brews using cascade hops seem to.

Mash volume 11 litres/3 gallons
Total liquor 33 litres/8.7 gallons

Estimated OG 1.052
Estimated FG 1.015
Estimated ABV 4.9%

Well ended up ordering the golden light and 15l instead of 10l. Can't wait to try it out!

Okay, I just kegged this recipe, except I substituted Cascadian hops. It turned out really well. My Oregonian husband loves it! I built him a kegerator for his birthday with two kegs of home brew.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I tried one today, it's not ready yet (need more bottle conditioning, not enough carbonation) nice taste, a good balance of Hops freshness/fruitiness and bitterness.

This recipe is a keeper, I might try it with other hops (Simcoe, Cascade, Yakima)

Getting ready to brew this tomorrow. I had to go to both brew shops in town to round up that much hops! One store had a 4oz limit and luckily the other had 4oz to sell. I didn't realize Citra was such a hard hop to get a hold of.

Back