high ferm. temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busmanray

Reaction score
how would high ferm. temp effect taste of beer?brewed
a 2565 Kolsch wyeast.optium temp. 56-64 degrees.actual brewing temp maybe 72 degrees.i brewed in the summer.what kind of off tastes would i be looking for?

Basically, more esters and possibly more fusel alcohols:
http://byo.com/feature/13.html

ales are usually fermented between 68¡F and 72¡F. Lagers require colder fermentation temperatures, usually between 45¡F and 55¡F. Above these temperatures, yeast will give off unwanted fermentation by-products such as esters and fusel oils.

Esters lend a fruity smell to beer. In moderation, these molecules are an important part of the profile of some beer styles. For example, we expect that an IPA should have a fruity ale nose to it. In excess, however, esters become overwhelming and undesirable. Beers fermented too warm can have a distinctive banana smell that most beer drinkers find objectionable.

Fusel oils are alcohol molecules with more carbon atoms than ethanol, the primary alcohol in beer, wine and spirits. At low levels, these accepted in certain styles of beer such as barley wines or other high-gravity brews. However, they are usually thought to be objectionable in most styles of beers. At excessive levels, they can cause health problems.

I'm having issues with this too. Normally it's not too much of an issue for me with Ale yeast, but I just did a Kolsch and a Buckwheat Black Honey Ale with an Altbier yeast. My basement is a solid 66 degrees, so both times I cooled to 68 and pitched. Because I pitched a large amount, I was hitting 75 degree fermentation temps. :(

I did the bucket of water and a tshirt on the Kolsch, but who knows how much off flavors I'll have. It stabilized a day or so after fermentation slowed. I'm just hoping the beer is good. :)

i have a beer i brew regularly, it's a munich dunkel, tastes a lot like warsteiner dunkel, and i use wyeast kolsch yeast, and i always fermented it at around 70-74 degrees, and it's DELICIOUS after immediatley force carbing after a 10-14 day single carboy ferment, which both the timespan, and the temps are contrary to the characteristics of the brew, but last batch i tried fermenting it at cooler temps, closer to lager temps, and the beer tasted about half as good. i really don't understand it, but i'm making another batch, and going back to what worked for me.

basically, i guess what i'm saying, is it's different for each recipe, style, etc. what you do. i don't think anythings going to neccesarily "ruin" a batch, so i encourage experimentation, and keeping good notes, and remembering what works for each batch.

I bottled 10 gallons that was fermented using the WL Kolsch yeast about a month ago. The ferm. temp was up in the 72-75 range for part of the time (don't know how long), and I *really* taste some off-flavors. This was the first time I used that yeast, and I've gotta say I'm sort of bummed out at the final product. I'm hoping these will mellow with time, but after about a month in the bottle, its still the same.

I don't really know how to describe the off flavors -- definitely some diacetly (butter) flavor, but other things to -- something sort of twangy that hits you right up front when tasting the brew.

I know the twangy you are talking about, got it from my belgian wit yeast that hit around 78F. Hit you right up front, but if I kept drinking it faded and the beer was pretty good. Was upsetting though, my first and only real "off" flavor and I definitely noticed it.

I may be too critical, but I would consider my Kolsch batch *almost* undrinkable :( Only time will tell if this batch can save itself

On the up side, I bottled a coffee stout the same day that is fantastic :mug:

jelsas,

undrinkable is still often useful for cooking purposes. ALL my chili contains at least 1 bottle of beer :)

Back