What can I make with this????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopfan

Nice Beaver....
Reaction score
A friend gave me about 70 feet of 1/4 copper tubing. It's been sitting around staring at me, and now that I have a wee bit of time, I feel the need to make it into something other than a dust collector. I was thinking of using it to either circulate hot water in my mash to maintain/adjust temp or to use it as a fermenter "wrap" to maintain fermentation temp. Is 1/4 tubing too small for these purposes? My wife had a suggestion of what to do with it, but I didn't want to have to post this in the proctology forum.

ummm well if you don't have a wort chiller you could wrap it up and then you'd cut a lot of time out of your brewing process. Thats on my to do list at least.

Thanks. I should have mentioned that I have a killer counterflow wort chiller (50 feet of 3/8 copper in a 5/8 jacket) already. I'm using a 10 gallon drink cooler as my MLT.

'Nother vote for wort chiller; that 1/4" should have better surface area to mass ratio than the 1/2", so if you can get good flow through there you'll have a reasonably effective wort chiller. You could pick up some larger tubing and even make a counter flow chiller.

EDIT: Nver mind :p. With a pump you could make a pretty effective MLT temperature controller; see if you can find a good DC pump and check out PWM control if you want to automate the process.

Don't make something that you won't use or will be unhappy with.
I vote scrap it and use the proceeds for something else.
Even if it's something for the wife to keep her from inappropriatly using brewery equipment.

hmmm personally i prefer your wives suggestion (mainly because it's you and not me) lol...

Hmm, plumb in a beer line to every room in the house...

Melt it down and make a copper fermenter...

cut it in half and sell it as wort chillers...

Give it away...

You could get a pretty penny for it, maybe as much as $50 for it if it's in newish condition. But I do like the "give it to me" idea; as an HVAC hobbyist I can assure you I'll put it to good use ;). A dispensing chiller comes to mind :D.

Like someone else said, cut it in half and sell it to somebody doing small kitchen batches, thats what my first chiller was made out of, now it is a prechiller.

If that's 1/4" OD, it's too small to run as an IC in a single pass. You could cut it into 3 23' sections and solder each end bundle into a 1/2" cap drilled with 3 holes. This thing would be really efficient though, tons of surface area.

It is 1/4" OD and I was afraid that it would be too small to do something meaningful with. But I like the idea of bundling it. I think I'll play around with designs to see if I can make a heat exchanger for a HERMS.

Hmmmmm, with that much copper, I should be able to make 2 heat exchangers. Anyone have a controller they want to trade for it????

You just have to play to its strengths, namely it's massive surface area to volume ratio. ;)

Post up some sketches when you have them!

Cut it in half, then get 2 half inch tee's 2 half inch 90degree's 4 1/2-1/4" reducers and coil the 2 lengths up in your mlt as a heat exchanger. My 2 cp.

Back