Columbus Pale Ale recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNic

Reaction score
Hey guys. So I had Avery's Hog Heaven a couple weeks ago and it's, in my opinion, the best beer I've ever had. I know they call it a barleywine, but it seemed more like an IPA to me. Anyway, I want to brew an all columbus pale ale to make something similar to Hog Heaven, but something I can drink a lot of without getting completely hammered. So here's the partial mash recipe I came up with:

7# 2-row
1# crystal 77
.75# golden light DME (added @ 10 min left in the boil)

1 oz. Columbus (20 min)
2 oz. Columbus (7 min)
1oz. Columbus (dry hop for 7 days)

Mash @ 149* for 60 min.

OG: 1.054
FG: 1.011
IBU: 40

I decided to completely leave out a 60 min. addition and just go with all late hop additions. I'm hoping to get some awesome flavor and aroma and a very smooth bitterness. Let me know what you think!

Columbus gives great aroma. I've heard mixed things about flavor additions. You might want to shift more of your hop additions to 5 minutes or less.

Also, a little bit of Columbus at the beginning of the boil could help with that smooth bitterness due to the low cohumulone content.

Back