Speaking of male plants . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jagdad

Reaction score
Does anyone know a source for known ancestry mildew resistant male plants? I'm looking for two reasons: 1) to cross breed new varieties adapted to the midwest; and 2) to interplant with my Santiam (naturally seedless tett. hybrid). I read that this results in larger cones/yields. Breeders in Oregon have some superior male plants but are not too willing to "share" with us guys in the midwest. :( Maybe I'll try MSU Extension . . .

I was sent 3 males from the hop institute in Zatec back in 1991. Of the 3, only one is left and I don't know which one it is. They were all just numbered selections.

I'm gonna check with some of the germplasm sites- My facility is totally capable of breeding selections like Corvalis does- I'm willing to bet I can produce similiar hybrids with 3 years if I can obtain the right alpha males. ( most of the hybrids are simple selections of straight crosses) The trend seems to be toward the real high alpha stuff - I'm interested in revitalizing some of the aroma types.

The folks down in Corvallis got some $$ from Indiehops to throw toward breeding aroma varieties. They even coaxed Dr. Al out of retirement to join the fun and it makes sense as most of the big nasties like the climate in Yakima where as the pretty smellin' gals prefer the Willamette Valley.

Back