JJust re-tried my first mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
I brewed a mead in April and kegged it about 3 months ago. The first couple of tastes weren't impressive. It had way too harsh of a bite and a lot of dryness. I let it sit and do it's thing. I took a sample tonight, and WOW. What a difference 3 months makes! This is really good stuff now. I can only imagine what a few more months - or years - will do to it.

I really do like mead, and it's SO EASY to make. Now I'm excited about my melomel. I should probably start up another one soon.

I've had some 8-10 year old meads some of the locals have made. Amazing stuff. Even the Jolly Rogers mead was good after 5 years.

homebrewer_99 said:
I have a couple from '94 and '95 I think.

One of my granddaughter's is getting married in June. Maybe I'll crack 'em open.:D

The blueberry mel is going to get bottled so it can age forever. Now I'm excited about doing a vanilla mead. I still want to do a marshmallow mead and a hibiscus mead, and a ginger mead, a cinammon vanilla creme...

Cheesefood said:
Now I'm excited about doing a vanilla mead. I still want to do a marshmallow mead... a cinammon vanilla creme...

I think the caramel cream ale got to em... ;)

:rockin:

Cheesefood said:
The blueberry mel is going to get bottled so it can age forever. Now I'm excited about doing a vanilla mead. I still want to do a marshmallow mead and a hibiscus mead, and a ginger mead, a cinammon vanilla creme...

Go for the hibiscus first, it is amazing. I just racked my second batch. The recipe I used is.

15 pounds local raw mesquite homey
Half a pound hibiscus flowers heated to and held at 160 F for 30 minutes in one gallon of water.
2 tsp yeast energizer
2 tsp yeast nutrients
Red Star Premier Cuve
Water to 5 gallons
After 3 weeks in primary the S.G. is 1.010 and it has dropped clear.

Back