It's nigh time for a Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyangler18

Reaction score
So here's the deal. I've got a bunch of rye malt in stock, and I'm jonesin' to brew an IPA. Yes, it's a bit unusual for me - but my tongue is a-tinglin' for some big American hop character and some spicy rye bite to boot.

Shooting entirely from the hip, I'm thinking 70% MO, 20% rye malt, 10% C60 - though I'm not married to that grain bill just yet. Thoughts?

We'll get to the hop schedule later. :)

I have two favorites- neither one of which were my own creation! There's the famous Denny Conn's Rye IPA (which was terrific) and the 777 recipe we did a couple of years ago. Brewpastor made the recipe, and mine turned out great. That was one of my favorites of all of the beers I've made. Both recipes are here, I'm sure.

The hopping for BP's RIPA was C-hops, I believe, while Denny's used Mt. Hood for aroma/flavor. Totally different beers, and both worth doing. Since my memory sucks, I can't remember anything at all about the grain bills. Except they had rye in them. :D

Playing with the numbers, 10% crystal is looking pretty excessive. :drunk:

Grain bill in process is:

65% MO
20% Rye Malt
10% Vienna
5% Dark Crystal (just 'coz I like the English stuff better!)

If you want real rye sharpness, put some flaked rye into it, too. I love rye in both forms and just toasted a pound of malt to about 100L -- we'll see how that contributes to my next IPA!

I would definitely recommend replacing some of the Rye Malt with Flaked Rye.

@ 20% Rye Malt you're gonna have a pretty sticky sparge, I made a Rye IPA a few years ago, very enjoyable beer.

The IPA I sent to EdWorts comp was 5% malted Rye, 5% flaked Rye, 90% MO with 10% of the MO home toasted. Hopped with Chinook, Amarillo and Centennial. Came in 4th in the comp with a 39, but got hit for carbonation from doing a poor job at BMBF.

Rice hulls help, but a beta-glucan/protein rest works even better.

In your recipe for the Roggenbeir, it appears to be listed as a single infusion mash at 154.... are you saying that you're now doing it as a step mash with a rest at @ 122 for 20 minutes or so?

In your recipe for the Roggenbeir, it appears to be listed as a single infusion mash at 154.... are you saying that you're now doing it as a step mash with a rest at @ 122 for 20 minutes or so?

Aye, thanks for reminding me to change the recipe post!

This is rendition of an American Rye. I was hopeing for an ABV of around 6.5%. I was shooting for 6.5 gallons in the fermentor but I barely got 6 gallons. My boil off was more than I had anticipated. So my ABV has jumped to around 7.8%. Whew! Hopefully it'll be a good one. It's been in the fermentor right at a week. One more to go and in the keg. Here's my recipe.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Canadian (3.0 SRM) Grain 66.67 %
3.00 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.56 %
1.00 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 5.56 %
1.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.56 %
0.50 oz Admiral [14.75 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 18.2 IBU
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (30 min) Hops 12.1 IBU
0.80 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (15 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.33 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (Fermentis)

Est Original Gravity: 1.069 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.072 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.89 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.84 %
Bitterness: 38.8 IBU Calories: 324 cal/pint
Est Color: 13.1 SRM

Single Infusion, Medium Body

60 min Mash In Add 22.50 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

10 min Mash Out Add 12.60 qt of water at 196.6 F 168.0 F

Final build, I think.

[size=+2]Rye IPA[/size]
[size=+1]14-B American IPA[/size]
Author: Jason Konopinski
Date: 10/31/09

Size: 6.00 gal
Efficiency: 80%
Attenuation: 80%
Calories: 233.78 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.070 (1.056 - 1.075)
|====================#===========|
Terminal Gravity: 1.014 (1.010 - 1.018)
|================#===============|
Color: 13.13 (6.0 - 15.0)
|====================#===========|
Alcohol: 7.43% (5.5% - 7.5%)
|=======================#========|
Bitterness: 69.6 (40.0 - 70.0)
|=======================#========|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
10.0 lb Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt
3 lb Rye Malt
2.0 lb Vienna Malt
10 oz Dark Crystal Malt I
.5 oz Magnum (12.1%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 20 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 20 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1.0 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.3[/size]

I did a similar brew today. This was my first No Chill. The times for the hops are based on 'regular' brewing, and you can see by the notes (in all capital letters) when I actually added them.

I'll have to call this one 'Jumping Spider Ale'. When I did my first vorlauf I washed a jumping spider out - I guess he was in the valve. Throughout the (batch sparge) draining was very slow - I thought it was the 20%+ rye. When cleaning the MLT, I discovered that there was some spider web in the valve semi-clogging things.

On a trivial note, today was first time I did a good whirlpool and got a great trub cone in the center of the keggle. How nice to leave all that crap behind.

Size: 11 gal
Efficiency: 86.0%
Attenuation: 80%
Calories: 195.04 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.059 (1.045 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.010 - 1.015)
Color: 12.68 (10.0 - 17.0)
Alcohol: 6.2% (4.5% - 6.2%)
Bitterness: 50.1 (25.0 - 40.0)

Ingredients:
7.5 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
7.5 lb Vienna Malt
5 lb Rye Malt
2 lb Caramel Malt 60L
.5 oz Cascade (7.6%) - added first wort, boiled 30 min
.5 oz Centennial (11.2%) - added first wort, boiled 30 min
.5 oz Willamette (5.6%) - added first wort, boiled 30 min
0.0 oz ADD BELOW AT 60 (0.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
0.5 oz Magnum (12.1%) - added during boil, boiled 80 min
0.0 oz ADD BELOW AT 5 MINUTES (0.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
1 oz Chinook (12.4%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
1 oz Willamette (5.6%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
.5 tbsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 10 min
0.0 oz ADD BELOW AT FLAMEOUT (0.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
1 oz Centennial (11.2%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
2 oz Willamette (5.6%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
2 oz Cascade (7.6%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
0.0 oz ADD BELOW AS DRYHOP (0.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
1 oz Willamette (5.6%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1 oz Cascade (7.6%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1 oz Centennial (11.2%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

I'm going to brew two batches tomorrow. I have my stir plate going with California lager yeast for the steam beer, and I'm making an Irish draught with honey using either Denny's Favorite 50, or dry S04. (The Denny's Fav is currently in a batch of AAA, so I have some racking tomorrow, too!).

I'm going to keg an IIPA today. Damn this working, though. I have to see a client at 1 PM, so I can't be sampling.

Anyway- have you ever used the Denny's Favorite? I read the description: This terrific all-round yeast can be used for almost any style beer and is a mainstay of one of our local homebrewers, Mr. Denny Conn. It is unique in that it produces a big mouthfeel and helps accentuate the malt, caramel, or fruit character of a beer without being sweet or under-attenuating.

So, it's in my highly hopped AAA, and I think it might be really good in the Irish draught. Any thoughts on that?

Anyway- have you ever used the Denny's Favorite? I read the description: This terrific all-round yeast can be used for almost any style beer and is a mainstay of one of our local homebrewers, Mr. Denny Conn. It is unique in that it produces a big mouthfeel and helps accentuate the malt, caramel, or fruit character of a beer without being sweet or under-attenuating.

So, it's in my highly hopped AAA, and I think it might be really good in the Irish draught. Any thoughts on that?

Haven't brewed with that strain myself, but I judged a Smoked Robust Porter during our club competition (smoke and wood-aged beers/22) last night that used it. Luscious mouthfeel, for sure. The brewer took second place; when he brewed the batch, he split the batch - half with Denny's and half with US-05. The side-by-side was eye-opening.

Just brewed one, wanna trade?

Sure!

Just mashed in. :rockin:

I'm going to brew two batches tomorrow. I have my stir plate going with California lager yeast for the steam beer, and I'm making an Irish draught with honey using either Denny's Favorite 50, or dry S04. (The Denny's Fav is currently in a batch of AAA, so I have some racking tomorrow, too!).

I'm going to keg an IIPA today. Damn this working, though. I have to see a client at 1 PM, so I can't be sampling.

Yoop,
As a matter of fact, I pitched Denny's fav. in my Rye IPA. I just checked a sample. I wish I would have slanted it. I have a feeling it's going to be used quite frequently in my beers.

+1 to Denny's Favorite:mug:

I have been brewing and experimenting a good bit with this yeast the past 2 months, and the products are just starting to finish up. I have done:

Rogue Chocolate Stout clone
Dude's Lake Walk Pale Ale
BM's Centennial Blonde (chuggin along slowly @ 55 degrees F!)
American Wheat (1/2 of which became a raspberry wheat with addition of 3 lbs Oregon raspberry puree)

... and Denny's Rye IPA is on deck.

I will have to report back once these are fully carbed and conditioned, but I can say that the mouthfeel claim is for real. Very interesting how it accomplishes this without under-attenuating. The flavors seem clean and malt forward -- the gravity sample from the LWPA, which when using US-05 usually smacks me upside the head with hops, was very soft and lacked the hop bite (flavor and bitterness) I usually get.

It's not a very aggressive fermenter. I ferment around 68 for a week before moving to room temp 75, and it crawls along in the primary for about 3 more weeks.

Maybe I'm dense - but I don't see what yeast you're gonna use for this... or was that all the discussion about Denny's Favorite?

Sorry about that, guys, went a little OT I realize. But yes, Denny is pretty adamant about using that particular strain in his Rye IPA.

Back