Sanitizer Water in carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

89OctaneStang

Reaction score
I have a question, would like to know if about an inch of sanitizer water in the bottom of the glass car boy will affect the fermenting process of my 5 gallon batch of beer????

My buddy came over to help and did not relaize I left the sanitizer water in the carboy and started pouring the Wart in the carboy and before we realized it we had 5 gallons of beer mixed with sanitizer water, is this going to be an issue????

it'll be kinda watery since it's extra water volume but I don't think you can taste starsan solution. unless you mixed it incorrectly.

Well I don't know if I did something wrong cause the OG was supposed to be 1.060 and it was 1.066. It is supposed to ferment down to a FG of 1.005. We shall see if the sanitizer messes with the fermentation any.

Was it Star San? If it was something else, you might have issues. If it was Star San, no problems, it turns to yeast food when it breaks down.

Was it Star San? If it was something else, you might have issues. If it was Star San, no problems, it turns to yeast food when it breaks down.

No, its not Star San. I'm a Noob and I bought a 5 lb container of One Step from my LHBS. Its a no rinse cleanser formulated for the homebrewer and winemaker. Doesn't say anything about it being bad for your brew or consumption. We tasted it and it doesn't taste bad. You could kinda tell that it was there but I think that the off flavor it was giving at that time will ferment out... Will it not??

Just took a look at it and I know I may not see anything happening right away, but I'm just a bit concerned that this may not take off. It appears that a yeast cake and sediment has formed in the bottom already but there is no action in the carboy from the yeasties. Did I screw this up and kill the yeast with the sanitizer or am I worrying too much too soon?

I'm not sure about one step although I used when I first started brewing. Way too early to tell if it did anything but I doubt it.

When you consider the overall volume of sanitizer to wort, the wort has the upper hand. Nothing to be done about it now but wait it out.

Back