BrewTarget 2.0 - Problem Saving New Equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icemaker

Reaction score
On the advice of many of you here, I downloaded BrewTarget and printed out the getting started tutorial.

And then I got stuck.

As instructed, the first thing I tried to do was to set up an equipment record for my set up (6.5 gal batch size, 10 gal Igloo cooler mash lauter tun, 15 gal brew pot).

The problem I am having is that when I put in all of my parameters and hit "save" on the bottom of the equipment editor, it will save the name and the batch size, but it doesn't save any other information -- like boil time (I put in 60 min), pre-batch volume, or any of the other information. It shows up on the equipment list with the name I gave it, but when I open it up it shows 0 for boil time and 0 for all the other parameters BUT FOR the name and the batch size.

What the heck am I doing wrong? Any advice would be deeply apprecaited. I have a brew day scheduled for November 17 and I would like to get my recipes scaled and calculated well ahead of that time.

Or, would you all suggest that I bite the bullet (a relatively inexpensive bullet, all things considered) and just go ahead and purchase BeerSmith?

Thanks for any and all advice and/or suggestions.

On the advice of many of you here, I downloaded BrewTarget and printed out the getting started tutorial.

And then I got stuck.

As instructed, the first thing I tried to do was to set up an equipment record for my set up (6.5 gal batch size, 10 gal Igloo cooler mash lauter tun, 15 gal brew pot).

The problem I am having is that when I put in all of my parameters and hit "save" on the bottom of the equipment editor, it will save the name and the batch size, but it doesn't save any other information -- like boil time (I put in 60 min), pre-batch volume, or any of the other information. It shows up on the equipment list with the name I gave it, but when I open it up it shows 0 for boil time and 0 for all the other parameters BUT FOR the name and the batch size.

What the heck am I doing wrong? Any advice would be deeply apprecaited. I have a brew day scheduled for November 17 and I would like to get my recipes scaled and calculated well ahead of that time.

Or, would you all suggest that I bite the bullet (a relatively inexpensive bullet, all things considered) and just go ahead and purchase BeerSmith?

Thanks for any and all advice and/or suggestions.

I think this is a known bug.

Can you give me an exact, click by click description of how you are doing this? If this is the bug I suspect, everything should work fine until you view the equipment profile either through the equipment editor or by clicking the button in the recipe tab, and then clicking the "cancel" button. If this is true, then we do have a fix.

The workaround is don't click the "cancel" button. Use the close window button in the window frame instead. Alternately, only open the equipment profile via the tree. For some reason, that doesn't seem to clear out the profile. The only thing to be aware of is if you make a change to the profile, you will have to re-add the profile to the recipe. Either drag'n'drop from the tree, or use the drop down list from the recipe pane.

If that isn't true, I need to reproduce it so I can open the bug report and get it fixed.

Mik

Here is what I do, step-by-step:

1 - open Brewtarget - it comes up with recipes on the left and with the Berliner Weisse recipe highlighted;
2 - I left click on the equipment icon on the vertical left hand side of the window. The equipment list comes up with 4 different equipment setups (where the recipe list used to be);
3 - "Equipment" is blue highlighted with the 4 different setups. I right click the "Equipment" and a box pops up, where I choose "new" and then "equipment"; I left click that and the "Equipment Name" box pops up;
4 - I put in the Name: 6.5 gal - All Grain - My equipment;
5 - I right click "ok" and the "Equipment Editor" box pops up with the name that I just put in highlighted in blue; and I enter the following:
pre-boil volume: 8.5 gal
batch size: 6.5 gal
evaporation rate: 1 gal
Hop utilization: 90
Mash Tun
Volume: 10 gal
Mass: 9 lb
Specific heat: .353
Losses
Kettle to fermenter: 1 gal

On the bottom right, there is a blue plus, a disk and a red cancel icon

I left click on the disk icon (the save Icon)

The name which I gave the equipment shows up on the equipment tree. However, it shows the boiling time as 0. And all of the information which I entered, BUT FOR the Name and Pre-boil volume are 0 (the absorbtion is still filled out at .520 and the boiling point is still filled out at 212.00, but everything else is back to 0).

So, what am I doing wrong?

Update:

I found a work around -- what I ended up doing was saving after I put data into each field. It appears that Brewtarget only saves one parameter change at a time. So, for example, I put in boiling time, and then saved; reopened and put in another parameter (evaporation rate, for example), then saved and reopened.

After doing that with every step, I finally have my entire equipment profile saved.

Update:

I found a work around -- what I ended up doing was saving after I put data into each field. It appears that Brewtarget only saves one parameter change at a time. So, for example, I put in boiling time, and then saved; reopened and put in another parameter (evaporation rate, for example), then saved and reopened.

After doing that with every step, I finally have my entire equipment profile saved.

This problem was fixed in February (https://bugs.launchpad.net/brewtarget/+bug/1132311). I think you may have grabbed a v2.0.0 from sourceforge or installed from a package manager? You really should install v2.0.1 -- that equipment bug was one of the nastier problems, but there are others.

You can go to https://launchpad.net/brewtarget and grab the newest version, as appropriate for your OS.

Mik

Back