Mash tun size and grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon round Rubbermaid mash tun. Think I can fit 16 ish pounds of grain and 7+ gallons of water. I'm not sure how to brew this batch if I can't.

I have a 10 gallon igloo cooler that I use. I used it without problem for a IIPA earlier this year. I believe the grain bill was around 18lbs give or take.

I haven't done it yet, but BeerSmith says I should be able to fit a 21 lbs grain bill in a 10 gallon cooler at 1.25 qt/lb with half a gallon to spare.

gandalfiii said:
I have a 10 gallon igloo cooler that I use. I used it without problem for a IIPA earlier this year. I believe the grain bill was around 18lbs give or take.

Do you remember how much water u used??? 1.5. 1.25 qts/pound...

Thx

yep... me too and I fugure around 17 to be safe. 11 Gallon Batch. Single infusion and Mash-Out.

For "Smaller" beers... and smaller batches (5 Gallon) I can do "stepped" infusions.

I go to Tastybrew and plug in the numbers in their Infusion Calculator...

I am actually going to do a 20.5 pound 11 Gallon batch of Hefe-Wiesen in my 10 Gallon cooler with mutiple rests but to do so;

I am doing three infusions and two decoctions...

It is the only way I will be able to fit enough water in it to do a Mash-Out.

DPB

25 pounds is about max for a 10 gallon mashtun

How do you do a mash out with this much grain?

I ask because your numbers a bit higher than mine and other folks who have commented...

UPDATE: I had not considered water to grain ratio when I asked the first time. I was reviewing other posts again when I picked that up

.. I usually shoot for 1:1.5...

YA!!! so "Mr. Poster" had we all had our coffee... all of us would have included our water to grain ratio instead of just a weight

... you will need to take that into account, style of beer and mashing method... Infusion, Decoction, HERMS/RIMS

I have used "Palmer" as a reference and sort-a have stayed at 1:1.5...

I have a 3 gallon cooler that I use for partial mashes that fits 6lbs. of grain @ 1.5qts. water/1lb. grain ratio and still has some space leftover for maybe another pound.

Taking that into account, a safe bet for a 10 gallon should be around 20lbs of grain, probably more.

Just finished my last runoff. Had about 3 gallons of headspace left using 1.5 qts per pound. Single infusion mash

Thx

How do you do a mash out with this much grain?

I ask because your numbers a bit higher than mine and other folks who have commented...

UPDATE: I had not considered water to grain ratio when I asked the first time. I was reviewing other posts again when I picked that up

.. I usually shoot for 1:1.5...

YA!!! so "Mr. Poster" had we all had our coffee... all of us would have included our water to grain ratio instead of just a weight

... you will need to take that into account, style of beer and mashing method... Infusion, Decoction, HERMS/RIMS

I have used "Palmer" as a reference and sort-a have stayed at 1:1.5...

Sorry, missed your post ... 25 lbs is pushing it, but it can be done using a 1:1.25 ratio (roughly) and a rims or herms setup ....i've done it and hit my target with no problems . I didn't mash out with the rims and just took my time sparging....I'm usually more in the 1:1.5 range though.

Back