Lag time + starting temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
In my over-zealousness I over compensated the cold water in my igloo cooler for the carboy and dropped the temperature too much during the night/morning today.

When I pitched the yeast my wort was just below 80 degrees, the time from boiling to 100 was about 6 minutes, from 100-80 about 15 minutes using a pool water bath with an immersion chiller hooked to my pool pump to circulate the cold pool water through the chiller. Pitched the yeast around 78 degrees and plunked the carboy into the igloo cooler with water and two bottles filled with ice. Water temp last night before bed had fallen to 65 degrees, wanting to keep it cold I swapped out the bottles for two fresh ones.

As of now I have 0 bubbling or anything much on top. Gave the carboy a gentle shake and then tested the water tempreture. ~58 degrees so I'm thinking I put the yeast to sleep so I'm trying to change out the colder water with hot water from the tap to bring the water up to around 70, figure the wort will counter chill the water back down a bit closer to 65.

FYI I am using nottingham dry yeast, no starter. Didn't have the yeast in my possession until the night before brew day. If nothing takes off by tomorrow afternoon/night I will make a starter with a backup of yeast I bought just in case I got a bad one.

Going to post pictures later of my brew day.

Nottingham can handle 58F. The yeast are busy multiplying. Back away from the fermenter and let the yeast do their job.

What time should I begin to worry about if it doesn't kick up? 48 hours?

You don't have to worry......back away from the fermenter! Nottingham is a beast, it will work great at 58.....I think low sixties would be better...but 58 is just fine. Leave it alone for 3 weeks and then come back and your beer will be done...it's magical.

Wait at least 72 hours before doing anything. As was mentioned, nottingham works fine in the high 50s, and will actually give you a very clean, lager-like ale at those temperatures.

Came back home after spending what felt like an eternity between the gym and school tonight. Got a very thin layer on top so I'm a bit annoyed I didn't get to come in and see it begin to form up from the nothingness but overall happy that raising the temps up a bit started it off.

Unfortunately the hydrometer busted so from this point out I'm flying blind on it fermenting out.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Temps where up to low 60s this morning, switched out 2 bottles i put in yesterday for 1 bottle and it dropped it too much and is now at 55. Fermenting good though.

Temps where up to low 60s this morning, switched out 2 bottles i put in yesterday for 1 bottle and it dropped it too much and is now at 55. Fermenting good though.

Maybe we should all start to pitch in to help you raise the $6 that a glass hydrometer costs! :D You shouldn't be without one....I always make sure i have at least two...in case I break one.

Maybe we should all start to pitch in to help you raise the $6 that a glass hydrometer costs! :D You shouldn't be without one....I always make sure i have at least two...in case I break one.

Problem is the only brew store in the Tri County area is 40+ minute drive. Going to have a friend from college grab one since he lives that far north.

Back