How to keep (punk @ss) juveniles away?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It says that the device targets people under 25 but it also says they've installed it in schools and universities! That doesnt make any sense to me. I'll take 4, sign me up! :mug:

Like you, BM, I have 4 daughters. This could come in handy in about 6-7 years when my oldest wants to start dating. :rockin:

Like you, BM, I have 4 daughters. This could come in handy in about 6-7 years when my oldest wants to start dating. :rockin:

Huh, didn't know your oldest was already 18...

Wondering whether this is a feature that could be incorporated into HBT to discourage underage brewers. As soon as you type in the word "hooch," it triggers a high-pitched alarm that can't be disabled until your 21st birthday.

Huh, didn't know your oldest was already 18...

Wondering whether this is a feature that could be incorporated into HBT to discourage underage brewers. As soon as you type in the word "hooch," it triggers a high-pitched alarm that can't be disabled until your 21st birthday.

She's only 9, but in 6-7 years I know I'm going to have to start dealing with the whole dating dilemma, damnit. :D

These have already been banned in a few areas for infringing on people's right to hang-out on the sidewalk and harass customers.

It is also available as a ringtone. Good for use in classrooms.

It should also be coded to recognize lazy internet English characterized by terrible punctuation, zero capitalization, and world-record run-ons. Man, that makes me nuts. :mad:

I've heard that one of our scout camps play Mozart and Bethoven in the outside toilets to stop the kids from loitering around them... Can't be considered assault...

There's a McDonald's in downtown Seattle that used to have a problem with... "urban" people hanging around outside it and harassing customers. They installed speakers outside and began playing solely country western music, and the problem quickly resolved itself.

Those things drive me insane. They're actually painful to me. I can't go anywhere near. So if any business nearby starts using one, they've lost me as a customer.

I guess I'm not supposed to be able to hear them (I'm 37), but I do.

And as someone who used to be a kid :) I don't like the idea at all. They shouldn't be used anywhere where anyone under 25 ever has a legitimate reason or right to be.

I guess I'm not supposed to be able to hear them (I'm 37), but I do.

It's very dependent on your body. One of the products I sell in my webstore is called the CatScram. Same principle, but a little higher frequency so as not to annoy children/dogs. But every once in a while, I get a return request complaining that they can hear it. It's almost always a pre-pubescent female being affected. In rare cases, it's an adult female. Can't say as I've ever had a guy report it, but it could happen.

Anyway, if I hold one up near my ear (39yr old male) I can't hear any sound but it hurts my ear (118db). Kind of like a pencil to the eardrum.

Now what I need to do is develop a really big one for my truck. Whenever there's some loud bass rattling my windows, I crank up the squealer. I figure that since my noise annoys the crap outta you and doesn't bother me, that makes us about even...

Yeah, I have weird inner ears, apparently. When I was younger I could hear quite a bit past the upper end of the "normal" range. And there's some reflex that's supposed to close the ear canal to protect from super-loud sounds, but I don't have it. Don't know if any of that is related or not. <shrug>

I'm the same way as Rick500. I can hear the damn things, too, and I'm 35. I can also tell if any monitor is on, even if it's on 'mute'. I was surprised several years ago that others aren't bothered by that monitor noise.

I'm the same way as Rick500. I can hear the damn things, too, and I'm 35. I can also tell if any monitor is on, even if it's on 'mute'. I was surprised several years ago that others aren't bothered by that monitor noise.

OMG, that drives me crazy...and slight HDD whine...oh dear god...also I can see pixelation on crappy TV channels and dead pixels in LCD's....my pet peeves

I'm with ya. I'm glad the era of the picture tube is just about over.

I'm in college and have this as a ringtone. It's hilarious to play the sound in class and although the professor can't hear it everyone else gets pissed off.

It should also be coded to recognize lazy internet English characterized by terrible punctuation, zero capitalization, and world-record run-ons. Man, that makes me nuts. :mad:

Heh, yeah, could you imagine all the false positives we'd get? Jaybird alone would probably crash the system the first day ;)

OMG, that drives me crazy...and slight HDD whine...oh dear god...also I can see pixelation on crappy TV channels and dead pixels in LCD's....my pet peeves

Holy sh*t, you're not kidding. That junk wakes me up at night. We have a Dish Network receiver in our bedroom, and for whatever reason, they picked 3am as the time when the receiver downloads all the crap it needs for the next day...updates, schedules, etc. Even if I turn it off with the power button, it switches back on, and the noises sound like that stupid robot from Short Circuit...that horrible high-pitched HDD whir, the beeping and clicking...ugh! Why would they do that? So now I have to get up and actually turn off the power strip every night. *****ebags.

Holy sh*t, you're not kidding. That junk wakes me up at night. We have a Dish Network receiver in our bedroom, and for whatever reason, they picked 3am as the time when the receiver downloads all the crap it needs for the next day...updates, schedules, etc. Even if I turn it off with the power button, it switches back on, and the noises sound like that stupid robot from Short Circuit...that horrible high-pitched HDD whir, the beeping and clicking...ugh! Why would they do that? So now I have to get up and actually turn off the power strip every night. *****ebags.

oh that sucks, our Verizon box is completely silent, I can hear the PC in the other room with the door closed over the VZ box.

I am so sensitive to all kinds of strange noise, yet I have a problem hearing people on the phone, and when I'm talking to them. I actually have begun to start reading lips it's getting so bad, that I can't be doing something else and still hear them

My wife is paranoid because a friend started playing different frequencies on his cell phone and she couldn't hear a lot of the higher tones. She thinks she's going deaf. It runs in her family.

Since then she often looks at me funny and says, "WHAT?" Is if to emphasize the point that she is going deaf. I know it's just that she wasn't paying attention to me, like normal.

And I'M the one who worked in a noisy factory for years!

Back