Dogfish Head Brew Pub Visit (Rehoboth)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deofol

Reaction score
Just got back from vacation in Rehoboth Beach DE... Beautiful place!

I did a tour of the DFH brewery, and spent a few hours at the brew pub as well. Here are the Brew Pub Pics, I'll try and do a post of the brewery if there is interest.

Enjoy!

Dogfish Head Brewing & Eats Rehoboth Beach, DE

IMG_0212.jpg

Took me about 10 minutes of waiting at 5:00 on a Friday to get a spot at the bar, but the wait was worth it... First off we have the Holy Grail of IPAs. I just HAD to try it once. Behold the 120 Minute IPA!

Brewed to a colossal 45-degree plato, boiled for a full 2 hours while being continuously hopped with high-alpha American hops, then dry-hopped daily in the fermenter for a month & aged for nother month on whole-leaf hops!!! Our 120 Minute I.P.A. is by far the biggest I.P.A. ever brewed! At 20% abv and 120 ibus you can see why we call this beer THE HOLY GRAIL for hopheads!

20% abv

120 ibu

To say this is an intense hop experience is an understatement, and at 20% it had the alcoholic heat like a spirit. DERISHUSS!!! Makes Sam Adams Imperial Pilsner seem like a normal beer.

IMG_0215.jpg

As a sat and enjoyed my 120minute, my eyes wandered around and landed on this... WTF?

IMG_0217.jpg

It needed a closer inspection!

IMG_0218.jpg

That's right kids! It's Randal the Enamel Animal!

Basically its a filter that they fill with hops from 4-6 a couple of days a week and run the 90 minute IPA through it. Man it was tasty. They had Amarilo hops in it when I was there. The beer reminded me a lot of cask ale. The hops smoothed the carbination out and removed some of the bite. Here's a pic. Very good!

IMG_0220.jpg

... and finally a pic of the patio, where they use hop vines to shade the sides and top.

IMG_0219.jpg

At the brewery I had a chance to try the Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron. Which is aged in huge (400bbl) Palo Santa wood casks. It was pretty good, but not my cup of tea (er glass of beer). Fun trip, great experience, awesome beers!

To top it off, when I got home from the trip, I had a little motivation to brew. A nice Kolsh style ale! It should be ready around August to kill the Texas heat!

IMG_0232.jpg

Thanks for the pics! My wife and I are going up there for our 1 year anniversary. We are going to be doing the 360 experience in October, I can't wait!

Deofol.. a belated welcome to Delaware. To anyone else coming... a future welcome! I work not far from the brewpub and live not far from the brewery. Dogfish is a great company and I have a lot of respect for Sam. That being said, my taste in beer differs a little from the guys at Dogfish. I'm more of a "balance-head" instead of a hop-head. Every time I try any of his various styles, the hops is just really in-your-face. I feel like it's masking delicious malt and yeast characteristics. BUT... that's good sometimes when I'm in the mood. And considering the beer selection around here otherwise, Dogfish hits the spot. So, I'll keep drinking it when I'm out!

If anyone is coming to the area for vacation and wants to get together for a pint, give me a yell.

In 2004, I stumbled into Rehoboth Beach after attending the big pumpkin chunk in Lewes. Unfortunately I was not aware of Dogfish Head since I was a little out of my home territory and had not started brewing. :(

I was fortunate enough to score some 60-minute while out of town (they just started distributing into Wisconsin, apparently) and it was good, but not really my thing. I would like to have a 120 for the experience, just once.

Now the Raison d'Etre...yum!

I hit the DFH pub in Rehoboth usually a few times a year... just stopped there in late May and had the Palo Santo Maron; I really enjoyed that beer. Very big, very complex brown ale IMO.

Did you use your AHA card to get a discount? I believe its like 15-20% off? I usually save a bunch of scratch eating/drinking there and taking beers and souvenirs to go...

You should have gotten some pics of the distillery upstairs!

Thanks for posting!

I agree with a lot of the comments about DFH. I'm not a huge fan of most of their beers, just a really big fan of what Sam and the DFH crew have been able to accomplish.

Honestly after seeing a lot of other craft brewers I was blow away with how big the DFH brewery really was. It was at least 3x bigger than I had it in my mind and there was major expansion going on as the tour was being done.

Currently the brew house is 60bbl if I recall, and they are adding another 100bbl system. At their current production capacity, they are still only able to fulfill 25% of the orders coming in. Crazy.

I just booked a trip to Ocean City for the end of September mainly because of the brewpub in Rehobeth. I have two visits to the brewpub already planned. I may add a third if I can talk my wife out of wild horses and the beach.

I have had to travel for work to this area. In fact, the company puts us up in Rehoboth. Needless to say, I had to try the brewpub. I must say, not only is the beer is wonderful there, but the food is outstanding as well. Try the gumbo...you won't be disappointed!!

Again, this place blew me away, with food and brew. I had the Theobroma on draft, plus several of the regular offerings. The Theobroma was interesting, in a very good way. Reading the description, I was expecting a chocolatie-sweet brew with some hotness from the ABV, but it was very complex, with no chocolate jumping out, or sweetness. Really like nothing I have ever had before. I will be grabbing a couple bottles when they hit the stores.

When I die, I want to be put into a keg of Aprihop and buried. I love that stuff.
Alternately, go out the Beerfest way - death by drowning, again, in Aprihop. :)

Back