100# propane tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bytor1100

Reaction score
I am gonna go and pick up a new 100# Propane tank up at lowes. I was wondering if anyone knows about how long this would last with a Banjo Burner. I'm going with the bigger tank to try and minimize how often I need to refil.

EdWort said:
The big question is how do you get it filled and transport it?
That would be the biggie for me, that's for sure. Around here you aren't allowed to transport larger than 20lbs tanks without a proper truck with proper markings etc.

Ideally you want to keep propane in an open vehicle (bed of a truck) when transporting. My friend frequently fills 100# tanks, and has not had a problem driving up to the welding shop with a tank or two in the back of his car. Not recommended, but he hasn't been denied.

My step dad uses 2 of these to heat his shop. He just puts them in the truck and go gets them filled and haven't had any issues.

If you are going that route, you may want to consider switching your heat to Propane and your hot water if your system has any age to it. From what I understand, you will get much better prices on your Propane when you do it that way. Then you just have them come and fill it.

bigjohnmilford said:
just have the propane come to you.

Yup, just give ol' Hank a call

motivator1230746.jpg

It's more expensive to start with but if it were me I'd go with a 125 gal. or larger stationary tank rather than haul 100 lbs around. Like the guy mentioned earlier they bring it to you rather than you having to go get it.

But if anyone has access to natural gas that's the way to go LP gas is over $3 a gal. the equivlent in natural gas is about $1.

Hell if I had access to natural gas I'd seriously consider converting to a CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) automobile instead of sending money to our enemies.

is there a way to make a manifold off of it, so I can run my rig and my heater for the winter time? Im a dumb a$$ when it comes to propane.. will it be evil of i lay it on its side when i transport it home? I dont want to get blown up.

I have a 100lb tank as well that was given to me. I just need a few adapters to make it fit my regulators. My local rental all place fills while you wait and I was told $65 to fill a 100 pounder.

Ideally you want to keep propane in an open vehicle (bed of a truck) when transporting. My friend frequently fills 100# tanks, and has not had a problem driving up to the welding shop with a tank or two in the back of his car. Not recommended, but he hasn't been denied.

Here in Nassau County in New York a permit is required for anything greater than 34 lbs. Check your local regulations.

Sections 6.7 (A) and (B) of Ordinance No. 344-1979 provide as follows:

A. No person, firm or corporation shall use or cause to be used, any motor vehicle, tank truck, tank semi-trailer, or tank truck trailer for the transportation of Liquefied Petroleum Gas, unless after complying with these regulations a permit to operate any such vehicle has been obtained from the Nassau County Fire Marshal. No permit shall be required under this section for any motor vehicle that is used for the transportation of Liquefied Petroleum Gas, not operated or registered by an authorized dealer, in containers not larger than ten (10) gallons water capacity each (approximately thirty-four (34) pounds propane capacity) with aggregate, water capacity of twenty-five gallons (approximately eighty-seven (87) pounds propane capacity) or when used in permanently installed containers on the vehicle as motor fuel. This section shall not apply to any motor vehicle, tank truck, tank semi-trailer or tank truck trailer traveling through Nassau County and making no deliveries within the County.

B. The permit shall be given full force and effect for a period of one (1) year.

My 100 lb tank costs $40/year to rent and they've nailed my consumption so they deliver before I run out.

Back