How Do You Buy Your Ingredients???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdiowa

Reaction score
I know my problem is not unique to me so I am asking for advice. I have been a home brewer for several years now. As all homebrewers know it is a addicting hobby and one that you constantly evolve and upgrade in that quest for the perfect beer.

Here is my situation. My wife of 28 years does not share the same enthusiasm for my hobby as I do. In fact she has never tasted any of my beers. To bad for here but that is another story. I do have a local Home Brew Shop but selection is very limited so am somewhat hamstrung when it comes to buying equipment. So I have been buying over the internet.

Here is my problem. I do not want my wife knowing that I am buying this equipment. I save my nickels, dimes and quarters and pop cans and when I have enough money I make a purchase use a money order and purchase through the mail. I have all the equipment delivered to my office and the wife is none the wiser(?). Here is the rub. Three out of the last 7 orders I have place through the mail using a money order has not arrived at Home Brew Supply vendors. This causes me to cancel the order and trace the money order and then cancel the money order. One order placed in June arrived at the Home Brew Equipment vendor in September and it was going from Iowa to Minnesota. This delay is very expensive and time consuming. Of course it is very frustrating because we Home Brewers want our "stuff" yesterday.

For those of you who are in a simular situation what do you to purchase equipment? Master Card is out of the question and so is a personal check. Can you do a fund transfer or something?

I am at a loss and very frustrated with the USPO system. I am open to any suggestions.

TD

I don't think you care how I buy my ingredients. My wife supports my hobby, and we discuss most every order I place.

I have no idea how to help you, but I think you should probably start by being honest with SWMBO.

The solution is actually quite simple:

Marriage counseling.

And no, I'm not being a dick, I'm serious. If you have to sneak around behind your wife's back just to buy some stuff for a hobby you love, then something tells me your relationship is not built on trust. You don't need to ask us how to sneak behind your wife's back more efficiently, you need to ask yourself why you're sneaking around in the first place. She's your wife, not your owner. Seek counseling, bro.

Well, I always use a credit card- but have you tried Paypal? I think AustinHomeBrew takes Paypal, but I'm not sure.

We're not here to judge or tell people who to run their lives. It's your life- your decisions. If you've been married 28 years, obviously there is alot of good there.

Let's stay out of judging other people's lives, please!

Dude, that's a tough one. I'd probably tell you the same thing, "talk to your wife" ...yada yada, "be honest" ...yada yada. Mainly because I discuss everything I buy with my wife. Having said that I know plenty of guys that are married that just do not have that relationship. Rather than trying to have you change your marriage of 27 years in one post, I'll recommend that you look into paypal & having the LHBS order for you like others recommended. Also, you can open your own checking account and get a debit mastercard/visa and use that to order online.

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Buy what you want, and then beg forgiveness for spending your money.
Works for me.

Back