carbonation problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefferym09

Reaction score
So i always like to cold crash my ales while in Secondary. Not too cold, prolly around 55. my last batch came out incredibly clear, but its didn't carbonate very well. 5 ounces corn sugar as always, but im assuming the clearer the beer is, the less yeast remains in the bottles and doesn't support good carbonation. either that or just something else went completely wrong, i dunno, any thoughts?

You will have sufficient yeast for bottle carbonation after cold crashing. Think of the cold temperatures to finish a lager and still have the yeast to bottle condition.

Your bottle conditioning temperature may be to cool and/or not allowing enough time for the yeast to fully utilize the priming sugar.

Two weeks minimum at 70° for an average gravity beer and several days of chilling to force the CO2 into solution will usually do it.

I'm having a problem with my Pliny clone and after ~4 weeks I still have no carbonation. I cold crashed in secondary for 3 days, let it rise to ~60F and bottled. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back