Ridiculous Thanksgiving Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
So I took my brewery with me to Thanksgiving so I could teach my brother and some friends to brew. They decided after I got there they didn't want a stout anymore. So I didn't have my computer with me and I couldn't build a new recipe on the spot, so I just had to wing it. Here's what I had on hand:

10 gal attempt (turned out to be just over 8 since I didn't have my computer and spilt almost a gallon out of the spigot before I realized it was open) I also didn't have a scale so had to eye it:

8ish pounds of 2-row,
7-7.5ish pounds of pilsner
Around 1/2lb of chocolate
1+lb of carapils

1oz EKG 60mins
1oz First Gold 30mins

1package of nottingham split between the two.

I left the beer with my friends and brothers fermenters, so I'll get to taste it on Christmas. I guess it's kind of an english brown, but no crystal and the pilsener/american 2-row leave me hanging. We hit 1.050, so it's gonna be beer, and it smelled good.

Anyone ever just thrown a beer together like that before? No scales, guessing on water amounts? I know I won't be able to recreate it, but I bet it's gonna be good! Mashed around 153, so should have a little body.

That sounds pretty good, actually. Something like an ESBish/brownish beer a good, grainy Pilsner punch. I bet it comes out nice.

Back in the old days (not the old, old days, but the somewhat moderate old days of about 15 years ago), back before steady jobs, fairly reliable ingredients at the corner store, and high-tech programs to tell you what was what, we had to make beer like that. :)

TL

Back