auto siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keepitcold

Reaction score
Hey folks I have a couple questions. I use a auto siphon to move beer from primary to keg or secondary. As of late I have noticed that when I put my beer into the secondary a couple of days later this flimsy starts growing on the surface. I left it alone and two days later it got worse so I just moved it to key and it was fine. It happened again to my brown ale and again I just moved it. I haven't tasted it in keg but I did taste it during transfer. I do a ultra thorough cleaning of my carboys stoppers and sucy buslt I usually just rinse the auto siphon with warm water after each use then pump star San through it. Has anyone had infection problem with auto siphons?

No... but there are tons of nooks and crannies for bugs to hide. Regardless, I usually bleach bomb it in separate parts for at least 30 min, rinse it thoroughly with water and then soak it in star san, assemble it wet, and store it in star san before use. I'm prolly a little more paranoid than most but after one infection, I've become pretty fastidious about my sanitation...

With any soft plastic equipment you should be replacing it annually. Also, like the previous post said, the nooks. If you have ever washed your soft plastics in hot water, you'll see if spiderweb, for lack of a better term. Bugs will love to crawl in those tiny crevices.

If not the siphon itself, inspect the tubing too

Since I'm always using my auto-siphon to move the sanitizer around I don't worry about it much, but I noticed just yesterday that the tubing is getting stained. If the tubing can be stained the siphon could be too.

Are there metal ones with removable gaskets? The bugs can't hide from heat.

Latest posts

Back