Harry Potter Butterbeer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChimayLover

Reaction score
Hello All!

I have only 3 bottles left of my first homebrew, an amber ale that turned out great. I have a Belgian Dubbel in my primary, and am now planning my next brew...In honor of the last Harry Potter book coming out this summer, I would like to attempt to brew butterbeer, the beer of choice for young wizards and witches...I realize this is a fictional brew, but I wonder if something like it could be made...I think it would be a light caramel colored ale with nice head and a creamy caramel butterscotch flavor, more of a desert brew...like a box of cracker jacks somehow turned into beer. Could some of the master brewer's here help me formulate a recipe to brew something that would do justice to a wonderful book series?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Take Cheesefood's Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale and tweak it to your liking. No vanilla, more crystal.......check it out and see what you think.

I like that- and (call me crazy), if you're really going for the "butterbeer" idea, we could try and get it to have some diacetyl in it. (Which gives it a buttery smell, as far as I understand).

Can anyone help me to figure out what gives it that edge?

If we get this recipe down, I might just brew it with you. A small batch, for the HP premiere.

Hmm, maybe I could take a recipe like cheese's caramel cream ale and add some butterscotch chips or syrup into it...Has anyone brewed with butterscotch before? I wonder how I would incorporate it, maybe boil it along with the malt extract for a while? Or maybe add equal parts golden syrup and butterscotch?

How does that sound?

How about this:

2 pounds wheat DME
4 pounds extra light DME
1/2 pound caramel 60L
1 pound caramel 20l
1 pound honey malt

same hop schedule
Scottish ale yeast

Ferment warm.

ChimayLover said:
Hmm, maybe I could take a recipe like cheese's caramel cream ale and add some butterscotch chips or syrup into it...Has anyone brewed with butterscotch before? I wonder how I would incorporate it, maybe boil it along with the malt extract for a while? Or maybe add equal parts golden syrup and butterscotch?

How does that sound?
Honestly...it sounds gross to me. The whole idea doesn't really sound that appealing, but I'll try to help.

Adding butterscotch chips or syrup will probably introduce a lot of fats and oils that will ruin the head of the beer and perhaps even cause a nasty oil slick on top of the beer.

Instead, try fermenting at the upper end of the temperature range of a yeast that leaves high levels of diacetyl after fermentation. Scottish ale yeast or a very flocculant English ale yeast are good candidates.

Here's an article: http://brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue1.2/fix.html

How about an addition of 8oz. of Lactose to give it a little more creaminess?

I like the idea of butterscotch chips, but I'm guessing the oils would kill the beer's head.

I think using Scottish Ale yeast too warm might give it a sour apple flavor. At least, that's what I got using WLP028 and fermenting too warm.

High diacetyl levels are often the result of weak yeast, long lag times and the yeast not being able to consume the diacetyl late in the fermentation. So, do not make a starter, do not aerate, start the fermentation at the top of the yeast's range then cool it to the low end about 1/4 of the way through.

This might result in other results, but ...

Or use some butterscotch flavoring in the clearing tank.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I think I might try brewing the Caramel Cream Ale with a little tweaking, more lactose, and maybe some butterscotch flavoring...You think the syrup and chips would be too oily to support a head though? What about the butterscotch extract linked in the previous post?

Thanks!

This is a SWEEEET idea. I always thought of the butterbeer in Harry Potter as a butterscotch flavored root beer (basically). I would therefore go with an English Brown Ale (Southern or Northern doesn't matter) with a touch of butterscotch flavoring.

ChimayLover, if you brew yours and I brew mine, maybe we can trade a 6 pack.

:mug:

:off: ALERT
I'm sure Snape's a good guy. Dumbledore ordered Snape to kill him. That's what they were arguing about at the edge of the forest in The Half-Blood Prince. I guess we'll find out, though. I can't wait.

Allright, I think I am going to go with the butterscotch extract...Ill post a recipe soon and maybe you guys can give me some feedback...Hopefully I can have it ready by the time the book comes out...I will be happy to trade a six pack if it comes out right (or even if it comes out wrong)!

I totally agree that Snape is good, Im sure he and Dumbledore enjoyed a few pints of Madam Rosemerta's Extra Special Butterbeer upon a time!:tank:

Thanks for the great Suggestions!

MIke

Heh... narf. I'll show YOU my magic wand... narf.

Also- perhaps we should include a few (subtle) spices in this? Anyone know what brings out butterscotch well?

Here is the recipe Ive chosen:

3lbs Extra Light DME
3lb Wheat DME
1lb Crystal Malt 60l
7oz Lactose
4-5 oz butterscotch extract in secondary
Same Hop Shedule as Caramel Cream Ale by Cheesefood
Scottish Ale Yeast

Let me know what you think!

That looks really quite nice!

I think I'll brew that this week, and get it kegged and ready in time for the book or the movie.

Let's compare when it's done! (Specifically, if you put yours in secondary before I do, let me know how the butterscotch plays out).

Jewbeard

OK- first of all, I'll brew it as you've planned it, but I think I'll add a "tea" of some spices in the secondary- a few cloves, probably don't need additional sassafras, maybe some other random herbs I find in the health store. I'll play with it.

Also, I've made this label:

TrebleStrengthButterbeer.jpg

I did the paper background myself. (Just learned how, on GIMP!)

What a great idea. I HAVE to brew it this week-end. I'll probably leave out the lactose though. The last time I had a beer with lactose it was in a stout and really runned a good beer IMHO.
Has anybody used the butterscotch extract yet?
Are you just going to add it to the secondary like dry hopping?

OK, this is my operating recipe. I've cut down on IBUs to bring it into the wheat-beer model, due to my audience (mass-market to many people who "don't like beer".

I'm also experimenting with herbs/spices, as you see below.

Treble-Strength Butterbeer

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Extract (Lbs): 7.00
Anticipated OG: 1.060 Plato: 14.81
Anticipated SRM: 12.3
Anticipated IBU: 11.6
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
42.9 3.00 lbs. Briess DME- Gold America 1.046 8
42.9 3.00 lbs. Briess DME- Weizen America 1.046 8
14.3 1.00 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.50 oz. Tettnanger Whole 4.50 1.6 5 min.
0.25 oz. Perle Whole 8.25 8.8 60 min.
0.25 oz. Czech Saaz Whole 3.50 1.3 20 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1728 Scotish Ale

Notes
-----

7 oz lactose at end of boil

Herbs/spices in secondary: cloves (4), sassafras (1 oz), others? Horehound?

4 oz butterscotch extract at bottling

Im planning on using the butterscotch extract in secondary, and maybe a small dash into the bottling bucket during bottling...

I have found with extracts (especially vanilla extract as in the original caramel cream ale), you may be best to leave it til bottling- that way you have a somewhat better idea of what the overall composition of the brew is. (For instance, at boil, it's very sweet and hard to judge).

Also, for brews like this, the lactose is more suitable than in other things.

I must say, this sounds like an amusing idea - really bringing the story to life, even more so than the movies themselves. I wonder if you couldn't do this for other fiction icons:
Romulan Ale (Star Trek)
Correllian Ale (The beer they'd serve in Star Wars cantinas)
Fadora (sp?) Stout (a homebrew that Sallah serves Indiana Jones when he goes to his Cairo home in Raiders)
Baker Street Brown Ale (Sherlock Holmes)

I'm just throwing out crap here - and truth be told, it probably belongs in Drunken Ramblings - but I think brewing something you could imagine your favorite fiction character brewing is pretty cool. I guess I get this from my HS english-teachin SWMBO.

Focus

House-elves can get drunk on butterbeer, but it doesn't have that effect on humans.

Well where is the fun in that? I think we are on the right track here fellow brewers. Cheesefood's recipe seems like the way to go. But using Butterscotch instead of Vanilla. Since in the books it is a drink marketed for children I think the sweet taste from the lactose will make a really good brew.

How is butterbeer made and what does it taste like? When asked about this by "Bon Appetit" magazine, JKR responded: "I made it up. I imagine it to taste a little bit like less-sickly butterscotch."

www.drinksmixer.com suggests "1 oz butterscotch schnapps 8 oz cream soda" But I think we can pool our efforts and make something much more "magical." ( [it] does create a feeling of warmth in the drinker) :ban:

I'm just batty about Butterbeer!

I brewed it 2 days ago, it smelled really good and looked pretty nice too, kind of a golden amber...I used 1 and 1/2 packs of scottish ale yeast, about 7 ounces of lactose in the final 15 minutes of the boil, and I put 2 drops of butterscotch extract in the primary...I am going to taste befpre I rack to secondary before adding more extract, because the extract is very strong..Maybe 2 ounces is the way to go...I was thinking of adding some roots or spices, what do you think would complement butterscotch? Maybe something nutty, to impart a butter pecan type flavor?

I love the label!

So I never thought I would be posting in this thread but SWMBO wanted some butterbeer for a party before the upcoming movie release. This is the first time she has shown interest in my home brew so I must oblige.

Now the trick is, she and her friends won't drink 5 gallons so I think I am going to make an amber ale and add butterscotch liqueur at bottling, prime with it and only do this to half keeping the other half for me.

I think I will make the Fat Tire clone from AHS (I have been wanting to make this for a while anyway). Yooper Chick was kind enough to convert the extract kit she bought from them to all grain, so it should be something like this:
Yooper Chick said:
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: 1056 (or Nottingham)
Yeast Starter: If liquid
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 31.7
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 12.0
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 days 68 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 2 weeks 68 degrees

5 lbs of Munich
4.5 lbs 2-Row
.5 lbs Crystal 90L
.25 lbs Victory
3 oz Biscuit

Mash at 150 for an hour ( I did about 75 minutes)

.75 oz Northern Brewer 60 min
.5 oz Hersbrucker 15 min
.25 oz Willamette 5 min

I am going to use this information: http://www.drinksmixer.com/desc245.html
This will let me decide how much butterscotch liqueur to add to one bottle to prime it.

I actually may convince SWMBO to add this when pouring so there will be no butterbeer leftover, but this may be too sweet.

What are your thoughts?

I am quite pleased that this thread is picking up steam.

My brew kettle is also picking up steam, as it happens - I'm steeping the Crystal 60 as we speak.

Now, I have a question- Where would I find butterscotch extract? Does such a thing exist, or are people using ButterShots? (or similar liquer)

Thanks. I guess I should have put some in the boil to get the flavor but boil off the alcohol... but I didn't think of it. Oh well.

Boil is on- here is my final recipe:

Treble-Strength Butterbeer

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Extract (Lbs): 7.00
Anticipated OG: 1.060 Plato: 14.81
Anticipated SRM: 12.3
Anticipated IBU: 11.6
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
42.9 3.00 lbs. Briess DME- Gold America 1.046 8
42.9 3.00 lbs. Briess DME- Weizen America 1.046 8
14.3 1.00 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.50 oz. Tettnanger Whole 4.50 1.6 5 min.
0.25 oz. Perle Whole 8.25 8.8 60 min.
0.25 oz. Czech Saaz Whole 3.50 1.3 20 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1728 Scotish Ale

Notes
-----
Irish Moss at 15 mins

7 oz lactose at end of boil

Herbs/spices in boil at 60 mins: cloves (5), sassafras (1 oz), cinnamon (2-inch stick), 1 whole nutmeg (crushed), 1 stick licorice root (1.5 in.), crushed or macerated.

4 oz butterscotch extract at bottling

I must say - with the scents of spices and crystal malt coming out of my pot right now... I want to stick my entire face in it. It's just... ambrosial...

A brew truly worthy of Dumbledore's blessed memory.

Those spices look quite nice...I might add some nutmeg to my beer in the secondary, maybe some sassafras as well...I got my extract from the link in this thread...It is realllly strong though, so I might re evaluate the amount that goes into my bottling bucket.

Cap'n Jewbeard said:
I am quite pleased that this thread is picking up steam.

My brew kettle is also picking up steam, as it happens - I'm steeping the Crystal 60 as we speak.

Now, I have a question- Where would I find butterscotch extract? Does such a thing exist, or are people using ButterShots? (or similar liquer)

Thanks. I guess I should have put some in the boil to get the flavor but boil off the alcohol... but I didn't think of it. Oh well.

Try the baking aisle at the local supermarket for Butterscotch extract. I'm not sure, but I've seen a lot of other flavors there. If you go with an extract, go easy to start with. They pack a wallop flavor wise. Adding it to the secondary would allow you to age it a couple of days, and add small portions until you get the effect you want.

Would 4 oz of a Butterscotch schnapps add any noticeable alcohol to 5 gallons of beer? I wouldn't think so. You can use the wort dilution calculator in Promash to figure it out

Barry

PS Sounds like a great brew. Halloween 2007 look out

Well...I added a 3 drops of the butterscotch extract I have to a bottle of homebrew that I had around just to see what it would taste like...It totally killed the beers head and tasted awful (I think because I used too much) Anyway, I need an extract that wont kill the beers head, you think the buttershots thing would do the trick?

The buttershots might well work, you just gots to be careful not to raise the alc % higher than the yeast can deal with. That's why I would, in future, boil the Buttershots with the initial boil in order to evap the alcohol.

Also- w/ the extract, I noticed it said to use 1/4 tsp. I have NO idea what the volume is based on, but it might be VERY powerful stuff. I'll experiment- I just ordered mine.

I just noticed that the bottle I have says butterscotch flavoring, not extract...Where did you get yours from Capn? I put like three drops of mine in the boil, do you think my beer wont be able to hold a head?

Back