60 minutes vs shorter boils.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codyjp

Reaction score
I've seen several recipes that call for 60 minute boils but the first hop addition is at 45 minutes. What's the point then of the first 15 minutes?

Perhaps its a different recipe, but isnt the hops addition added at the beginning of the boil, and then the last one about 15 minutes before flame out? Perhaps you are confusing the 15 min late addition of hops with doing an addition with 45 min left to go?

I've seen several recipes that call for 60 minute boils but the first hop addition is at 45 minutes. What's the point then of the first 15 minutes?

Are you sure you're not reading it backwards? That is, "Boil for 45 minutes," followed by an addition and some more time boiling? I recently booked up the "Clone Brews" book and they arrange recipes that way. It always confuses me because it's arranged step-by-step, rather than as an ingredient list with total boil/mash times.

Boils shorter than 60 minutes are pretty rare, though there are of course circumstances where that would be appropriate. As I know it, boiling without hops in would only serve to bring your total volume down (through evaporation), rather than really doing anything to the flavor of the beer.

The primary purpose of a 60 minute boil is to eliminate DMS. Some people will actually boil 90 minutes or even two hours for further DMS reduction.

Also, it gives you plenty of time to have a few while brewing :)

Orfy's Mild recipe has the first hop addition at 45.

The goal here is to get the 60 minute boil benefits (reduce DMS, etc) while reducing hop bitterness potential. A 60 minute boil with an oz of Fuggles will produce a beer quite a bit more bitter than a 45 minute addition.

Basically, you're trying to control bitterness.

You're directions are probably correct. There is no rule that you have to add hops in at the start of your boil. There are brewing techniques, like the late hop Addition technique, where you don't add a single hop in until the last 20 minutes of the boil. The theory being, the longer hops sit in high temperatures, they can produce harsh flavors and a harsh bitterness.
A longer boil with no hops, ie adding 15 minutes to your boil, will concentrate the sugars in the wort, which will make your yeast VERY happy! Obviously a longer boil will require a little bit more wort so you hit your target volumes.

Hot break strips a lot of hop bitterness from the wort. I bring the wort to a boil, and wait for 15 minutes for the hot break to subside before adding the hops, but I do All Grain which produces much more hot break than extract.

-a.

Back