Guinness clone from BYO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyAB

Reaction score
I love Guinness.

Six weeks ago I brewed up the recipe outlined in BYO's 250 classic clone recipes book. Got 11 gals in total. I think the recipe is spot on. I didn't quit reach my FG so the ABV% is a bit low at 3.4%. The taste is outstanding though. I can't taste much difference between this recipe and the original and would definitely brew it again. It'll take me awhile to work through 95 Grolsch bottles full though.

Anybody have a favorite light ale recipe from that book that they could recommend?

Is it a Draught recipe and are you serving it on beer gas or is it an Extra Stout recipe serving on CO2?

This is a draught recipe not Extra Stout. That recipe is also in the book although I haven't brewed it yet.

Recipe based on 65% efficiency for 5 gal is:

OG 1.038, FG 1.006, IBU 45, SRM 40, ABV 4.2%

5.0 # English 2 row
2.5 # flaked barley
1 # roasted barley (500L)

12AAU EKG 60 min

Wyeast 1084

Mash at 150 deg for 60 min with 168 deg mashout and rest for 5min
Boil 90 min with hops addition at 60 min

I bottled this with priming sugar and am very pleased. I would love to be able to push it with beer gas but I'm not set up to do so yet.

Add a quarter lb of acidulated malt, and you'll be even closer to Guinness draught. Check out this thread, which discusses the draught recipe to a good extent. One step further, you could set aside a few pints of your wort, sour it, pasteurize it, then add it back to the finished beer. Supposedly, that's what Guinness does.

I brewed a stout pretty close to this one and I'm pushing it through a nitrogen stout tap. Now that's about as close to Guinness draught you can get at home!

TB

1pound roasted barley sounds like a lot more roast for the draft version.

i would guess .75 debittered black OR .75 carafee

Back