Secondary Fermentation - advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrzud

Reaction score
I fermented primary until bubbling in airlock slowed down to about 1 per minute (which was about 5 days)

Should I wait the same (1 per minute) for the secondary or should I go by the standard 2 week. It has been two weeks, but seems to be bubbling rather strong at about 10 per minute.

[Edit]

I am making cider and do not have a hydrometer.

Go for the standard 2 weeks. Generally there is very little activity in secondary, so waiting until 1 per minute may only mean a few days in secondary. Waiting 2 weeks will give the beer plenty of time to clear while allowing for some proper aging.

Forgot to mention that I am making cider, sorry.

I figured that bubble rate should be taken into consideration when bottle due to that being an indicator of how much "fermentation gas" is being produced it would relate to how carbonated and how much pressure would be produced in conditioning after bottling.

Am I wrong here?

Also, I have already waited 2 weeks and it is still bubbling at 10 per minute.

I've never made cider, but it sounds like you still have quite a bit of active fermentation going on. You might have racked too early (primary fermentation might have been slowed down but no where near complete)

I wouldn't bottle that until it had slowed waaaaay down out of fear of exploding bottles.

-walker

No bang, but cider everywhere anyways (bottling was rather messy) :). Gravity was down to almost exactly 1. Very alcoholic.

Back