What's with my Tripel yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrislink

Reaction score
Brewing a clone of Alagash Tripel. Fermentation seemed to stop after a week, and I transferred to a glass carboy. But then the fermentation started all over again and has been going for over a week. Two weeks of fermentation? Is that normal?

Sounds like something happened and you got a stuck fermentation. Maybe it got too cold, maybe the yeast were just lazy. Moving it got them all stirred up again and it continued fermentation.

Or, you're relying on your airlocks to tell you when fermentation is complete and you're seeing CO2 coming out of suspension in your secondary. Are you using a hydrometer to check whether the "fermentation started all over again"? A hydrometer is the only way to tell whether fermentation is actually happening. As Revvy says: An airlock is not an indicator of fermentation.

Thanks for the tip, WillPall. From a starting gravity of about 1.08, I'm down to 1.04 now. Starting to get that boozy Duvel taste. I guess I'll hang tight for a few more days.

Back