in a jam here need some advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike02720

Reaction score
Well I started my batch of cyder just finished , went to take a hydrometer reading when it slipped out of my hands and broke. I wanted to keg this around 1020 si I would have sweet cider. I have to order a new hydrometer but it will take a bit to get it. I have the cider sitting in my carboy without yeast yet. I have wyeast sweat mead to use. is there a way to gauge it so i can keg it?

Can i just store the cider until I get a hydrometer? Or should I pitch the yeast without taking a gravity

If it's just store-bought cider, the starting gravity can be pretty predictable. The trick here is knowing when to keg it. If you can get a hydrometer within 3 days and you aren't using EC-1118 or Red Star P. Cuvee you should be safe. And if it does dry out too much before you get the hydrometer, you can always backsweeten to the desired gravity. If it were me, I'd just pitch the yeast and pick up another hydrometer on the way home from work tomorrow.

I finally got my hydrometer today its been fermenting since sunday it read 1.050 what should I let it drop to before kegging, I don't want to back sweaten it thanks

Did you add sugar to it? Or you started with just juice? Have you observed yeast activity since you pitched?

Yes IU added 2 pounds of Demerara sugar , the fwermentation has been going well. I want it to stay sweat. when do I put it in the keg and will my fridge make the yeast go dorment? it will go down to 34 degrees in my kegorator.. thanks

For future reference, if you want it to stay sweet, and eliminate a whole lot of work, just ferment it dry and backsweeten it. Adding your extra sugar up front is just asking for extra work.

What is your total volume?

Adding 2 pounds of sugar makes a big difference between 1 gallon and 10 gallons.

sorry it was 1.5 pounds 3 gallons. I t is harder to throw it in the keg than to backsweaten? sorry this is my first cider

No, it is definately easier to then sweaten before it is to be back kegged and then with gravity too then.

ok I will ferment it all the way out then thanks, I was thinking I could just keg it then cold crash and drink lol but Im new at this thanks again

Latest posts

Back