Oaking my cider help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g_rath

Reaction score
So it’s getting that time of year here when I need to make cider and lots of it. I want to try some new techniques this year. After listing to the cider podcast (the sober one) on the Jamil show I want to try lagering my cider this year with red star montrachet yeast. I also want to try oaking it. I’m thinking I will go with med. Toast French oak soaked in a little bourbon. What I’m trying to decide is how much cubes to use and how long to let them sit. I age my cider for about 1 year so time is not an issue. Any thoughts on this?
I’m also going to make 5gal of naturally fermented cider (last years turned out so good, and is still good) and a gal of mulled hard cider.

Oak can be really overpowering in Cider (think Chateau Plywood). One way to avoid that is by adding oak during primary fermentation (as is done for Chardonnay).

If you go the bourbon soaked cubes way, you have two choices: add the cubes (a few and taste-test regularly) or you even try adding the bourbon (which will have an ever bigger oak taste) 1/2 oz at a time and taste-test.

Back