Big brewday!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe C

Reaction score
For those who say that you can't make 15 gallon batches in a keggle, i say.... HA!

1st runnings is a barleywine, second is a bitter. We ended up with 90% efficiency and 27 gallons of brew. (12 for the barleywine, 15 for the bitter)

The Grains (56lbs):
IMG_0143.jpg

Mashed in:
IMG_0146.jpg

First Runnings:
IMG_0153.jpg

Two kettles ready to get fired up (KAB5 on left, KAB6 on right)
IMG_0142.jpg

Hot break and first addition of hops:
IMG_0158.jpg

Second addition of hops:
IMG_0160.jpg

Bitter in the foreground, barleywine in the background:
IMG_0161.jpg

Overall, a great brewday!

Looks like a good day!

I put that much leaf in a batch once without a hop bag... once. Then after it took me like 30 minutes to get them out of the way so that I could get the last gallon or so out of the kettle I told myself I would never do it again.

OK, this gives you another 4 weeks to get the keezer finished.

Is this gonna be enough time for you to actually finish it?:D

Yes, we used fermcap.

The tanks is in the container with water - it reduces the tank from freezing when the burner is cranked up.

What is this mess:
IMG_0146.jpg

Are you drinking your beer with ice or are you not drinking beer? You might not want to answer that.

I would guess that the ice cubes are for making minor temp adjustments, that's what I use. 3-5 cubes makes about a 1˚ difference in the mash tun.

First boil over your toes will teach ya...

most of the time when i'm brewing it's either in sandals or barefoot. I'm sure my tune could change if i were to be burned, but until then it's quite comfortable. The person in the pictures is not me though, that's GF's brother.

most of the time when i'm brewing it's either in sandals or barefoot. I'm sure my tune could change if i were to be burned, but until then it's quite comfortable. The person in the pictures is not me though, that's GF's brother.

It wasn't the burn I was concerned about those Mfo's are ugly .....

Back