Ack - need help quick! Shorter boil time for Wit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser442

Reaction score
So I'm mashing right now for a clone of Celis White using Austin Homebrew Supply's clone kit - mini mash.

I just realized that it only calls for a 30 minute brew - every other beer I've done says 60 minutes.

Is this a mistake? Should I do 30 minutes or 60?

heelp!

So you think it could be intentional and they mean for it to be 30 mins? (I just don't wan't to brew too short due to a misprint. Unfortunately they are closed so I can't check with them

So I'm mashing right now for a clone of Celis White using Austin Homebrew Supply's clone kit - mini mash.

I just realized that it only calls for a 30 minute brew - every other beer I've done says 60 minutes.

Is this a mistake? Should I do 30 minutes or 60?

heelp!

Call them and ask why it's 30 minutes. They're pretty good about answering.

Hmmmm...I don't know the ingredients of that particular kit, but I use pilsner malt as approx. half the base malt in my wit, and boil it 90 minutes to make sure I'm driving off any DMS. But if 30 mins is what it says and someone's confirmed it, then I'd go ahead and do it that way.

there is probably more info in the reviews & product details of the recipe on ahs's website (or search on here..)
but I did it as written (30 min boil) about 6 months ago and there was no dms.
I too usually boil pils malt hard for 90 but decided to let it roll after seeing Forrrest's responses to other posters on hbt about this same question.
cheers.

unless you are doing an extract kit you would need to boil longer to drive off dms. if its extract then yeah 30 mins is plenty, white beers dont need the bitterness of a 60 min boil so that is why you dont need to boil so long, good for you cuz that means you save time!

Hmmmm...I don't know the ingredients of that particular kit, but I use pilsner malt as approx. half the base malt in my wit, and boil it 90 minutes to make sure I'm driving off any DMS. But if 30 mins is what it says and someone's confirmed it, then I'd go ahead and do it that way.

I was just going to say the same thing, if you've got pilsner in your grain bill, you should be boiling for 90 minutes.

Back