sugar for double ipa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
i was listening to the brewing networks jamil show and heard them say its a must to add sugar to a high gravity beer like a DIPA (according to a pliny recipe). they said something about it drying the beer out nicely. so my questions- how much to add for a 8-9%abv beer? when do you add this during the boil? what would be the difference if i didnt add the sugar? would adding carapils effect this in any way with the sugar? thanks

Sugar helps dry out a big beer that would otherwise be too sweet. I would avoid too much carapils in a DIPA as it adds dextrins to the wort which are not fermentable and will remain in the beer. Doesn't really matter that much when you add it. I typically do it in the last 15 minutes of the boil, or during the actual ferment. 5-10% of the fermentables is a good starting amount for the sugar.

While it does tend to dry beer out, sugar is not necessary for a good, dry double IPA. If you mash at a low temp (148ish) and use plenty of healthy yeast, you can create a very nice DIPA that is not too sweet. If you want to add sugar, a pound or so in 5 gallons would be appropriate.

While it does tend to dry beer out, sugar is not necessary for a good, dry double IPA. If you mash at a low temp (148ish) and use plenty of healthy yeast, you can create a very nice DIPA that is not too sweet. If you want to add sugar, a pound or so in 5 gallons would be appropriate.

Ya, I think for an extract brewer the sugar is a more appropriate addition than for the typical AG brewer.

Latest posts

Back