The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just came up with the perfect response, but it only applies if you're eating burgers or something that the person made (especially good if he is proud of his burgers):

These burgers are okay, but why don't you make some McDonald's? I could really go for one of those...

Oh wow is that a good one! I'm stealing that!

At a chocolate and beer tasting on valentine's day, the guy next to me, who says he wants to get into brewing, had a pretty funny comment. We were tasting something (honestly can't remember, maybe John John Dead Guy from rogue?) It went something like this:

Guy: This reminds of of that fishbladder beer
Me and others: huh?
Guy: Well, in germany, there are some beers that they use fishbladder in to clear them up. This tastes just like that! It has that fishbladder taste
Me and others: uh huh.

----
I've never used it, but isinglass doesn't taste like anything, right?

I think the Germans have some sort of law against fish bladder beer

Just finished this whole thread.. Great stuff..

My wife along with most of my friends & family appreciate good beer, so unfortunately I don't know if I'll ever be able to contribute.

At a chocolate and beer tasting on valentine's day, the guy next to me, who says he wants to get into brewing, had a pretty funny comment. We were tasting something (honestly can't remember, maybe John John Dead Guy from rogue?) It went something like this:

Guy: Well, in germany, there are some beers that they use fishbladder in to clear them up. This tastes just like that! It has that fishbladder taste

----

They might be confusing it with the skunkiness you generally get from green bottles.

----

Since it's kind of a maibock maybe he associated the taste with bock beers from Germany? I'm fairly certain Isinglass has no taste.

I just came up with the perfect response, but it only applies if you're eating burgers or something that the person made (especially good if he is proud of his burgers):

These burgers are okay, but why don't you make some McDonald's? I could really go for one of those...

Very good call.

In comparing Beer & Bread;
(Hefeweizen and Porter) ~ Sourdough & Pumpernickel

(Roggenbier & Saison) ~ Caraway Rye & French

(Ordinary Bitter & American Light) ~ Biscuits & Wonder

BMC Beer:Wonder Bread - Imagine life if all you ever ate was wonder bread. All other bread would be $hit and you would have a boring life when it comes to food.
Oh wow is that a good one! I'm stealing that!

I will remember that too.

Whenever I am out at a bar with friends I always get something that is not pisswater to try to expose my BMC friends that there is more out there than their beloved Miller Light. So, upon giving one of these friends a sip of Newcastle he responds:
"Hmm, that's pretty good for a dark beer."

To another one of these friends I gave an American Amber that I would describe as balanced, no esters, very slight caramel, and no roasted flavor, he responded with:
(him) "Hmm thats pretty good.... It's close to a stout."
(me) "Eh not really. The hallmarks of a stout are a real roasty flavor, and sometimes coffee or chocolate flavors."
(him) "No, it's pretty close to a stout."

i got the ol' "it's too beer-y" (apparently its a bad thing) from my wife the other day after giving her an ESB. I tried to get her to tell me what the "beer taste" means. she can't describe.

it's not hops, as this was a low-hopped esb and she knows what hops are. it might be esters as I used thames valley II.

her favorite beer has been my porter. she doesn't like coffee. i can't figure her out.

I've already started collecting a few of these, now that I can give out freebies to friends/etc.

So far the BMC drinkers seem to use "it's too heavy" or "too rich" or "too strong" (strongest brew I've given out so far is 6.8%).

I've already started putting people on my "no homebrew list" for their stupid comments, I mean it's not like they're paying me for it, so screw 'em, more for me!

i got the ol' "it's too beer-y" (apparently its a bad thing) from my wife the other day after giving her an ESB. I tried to get her to tell me what the "beer taste" means. she can't describe.

Dude, my mom is the exact same way. She's definitely not a beer drinker but it's the same thing with your wife: the description is "beer-y" but she can't provide a definition as to what makes it so. She says, "I dunno it's just, ya know, too beer-y"

That's too damn funny :mug:

I had a similar experience with my MIL. She is a junk collector. Does a lot of garage sale-ing, and picks up odds and ends and stores the stuff in a two car garage. The garage is packed w/ junk. I was asked to move a dresser out of there and low & behold I see a glass 5 gal Alpine Water Bottle!!

I asked her what she was going to do with it, she says,

"Nothing, why do you want it?"

I'm like, "Yes!!"

She says "Tell me what you want it for first."

I say,"Beer making."

She goes on to tell tell me she doesn't know what was in it before and that I might get poisioned. I tell he that I will clean it first. That was OK with her. Now this bottle is on a decanting craddle hinged and all. It has a screw on cap to boot. Its pretty nice score for $0.00

2 hours later.....

She comes in to the house and tells me, "I don't think you really need it."

I'm like, "What???"

She goes, "Once you open it you'll have to drink all of that beer or it will go flat!!!! You know I don't think you need to drink that much!!"

I'm busting up on the floor laughing. I explain that it will be a fermentation vessel and that I promised not to drink out of it." Come to think of it that would a 645oz beer!

This total redefines the meaning, "I'm only gonna have one!!" :D

Everyone seemed to like my Pale Ale at my daughter's birthday. My mom took a break from sipping a Bud and tried mine. "Oh, that's nasty! Maybe if you called it something besides beer. Like flower beer."

i love this thread. now that I got a couple of batches under my belt, I can chime in....

Just today: me: wanna try a homemade beer?
Him: sure. (after presenting him with a overhopped dunkelweizen) damn, that looks like guinness
Me: really? it's nothing like guinness
him: wow, tastes just like guinness
me: have you ever had guinness
him: oh yeah.....lin ireland, so I know guinness

Guy at work commenting on the same overhopped dunkelweizen: I had one of your beers last night, and it tastes just like newcastle.
Me: Have you ever had a Newcastle?
Him: yep, drink it all the time, and your beer tastes just like it
Me: Is there any left?
Him: yeah, I got 3 left.
Me: can I have them back?

Neighbor: Hey, ya want a beer?
Me: Nah, I'm drinking my homebrew
Neighbor: ya sure, it's a Miller Lite?
Me: oh, in that case, I'm positive
Neighbor: (in gay girly voice) oooohhhh, look at me, I make my own beer, and that's all I drink.

My dad: want a beer?
Me: sure, whaddaya got?
My dad: Beer from the russian store, it's only a dollar a bottle, and they're 25 ounces
Me: nah, those beers taste like ****.
My dad: well, for only a buck, I"ll take them over that crap you make at home
Me: and you better stock up, cuz you'll never get one of my beers again. But save me your empties, I'll put real beer in them

Me: wanna try a beer I made at home?
Guy at work: Is it like budweiser?
me: Initially, but then I heat it up and mix grains with it, and boil it with hops and mix it with yeast and get beer
guy at work: You make beer out of Budweiser?????
Me: No, I make beer out of water, grains, hops and yeast.
Guy at work: Oh, I thought you said you start with budweiser
Me: come to think of it, you wouldn't like my beer, forget it.

Neighbor: (in gay girly voice) oooohhhh, look at me, I make my own beer, and that's all I drink.

Guy at work: Is it like budweiser?
me: Initially, but then I heat it up and mix grains with it, and boil it with hops and mix it with yeast and get beer
guy at work: You make beer out of Budweiser?????

Oh god, I loled so hard

Neighbor: Hey, ya want a beer?
Me: Nah, I'm drinking my homebrew
Neighbor: ya sure, it's a Miller Lite?
Me: oh, in that case, I'm positive

"Look at me, I'm Ned Flanders. I'm a big four eyed lame-o and wear the same stupid sweater everyday."

Don't know why that reminded me of that...:drunk:

Got one the other day by my friend's visiting Aunt:
Me to everyone: Beer?
Everyone: Sure!
Aunt: What do you have?
Me: Sierra Nevada, Guinness and homebrew.
Aunt: Homebrew sounds interesting, where did you find that?
Me: I made it.
Aunt: Do you have Coke?

this wasn't about my beer, but I had to add it.
guy at the table next to me: I'll have a bud, and my lady will have a coors light, and since this is a special occasion, well take two nice cold glasses.

yep, you wouldn't wanna spoil the taste of those two gems with a room temperature glass

I had 3 Coors drinkers tell me the other day after drinking Irish Red "it must be pretty weak, I can't even taste the alcohol". This is beer...not Scotch people!

I don't know why that reminded me of this one but last night I was drinking a homemade cider.

Neighbor: what are you drinkin now mike?
Me: homemade cider, want one?
Neighbor: you mean like beer cider?
Me: no, apple cider
neighbor: (very matter of factly) oh, apple juice!!!
me: no, apple ciiiider
neighbor: geez, what kind of stuff are you cookin up in there?
me: beer and cider, but not beer cider

I had 3 Coors drinkers tell me the other day after drinking Irish Red "it must be pretty weak, I can't even taste the alcohol". This is beer...not Scotch people!

That's because they think "strong" should taste like Camo 900...which is vile stuff IMO.

They just need to learn that the good high gravity brews don't taste like high gravity brews. :mug:

Gave my mom a bottle a Brown Mild that is anywhere from 3.25-3.75 ABV (wind blew my hydro right off the grills side tray) and she said "It's too strong". I'm going to brew her a Kolsch so she thinks it's weak because of its color. Then I'm going to switch it with an IPA and watch her pucker.

not about my brew but still funny...

i had a waiter trying to tell me that he thought Sam Adams "Adds hops just for the sake of adding more hops"

yeah because hops are so cheap, why not just throw some more in.

not about my brew but still funny...

i had a waiter trying to tell me that he thought Sam Adams "Adds hops just for the sake of adding more hops"

yeah because hops are so cheap, why not just throw some more in.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that guy. I think a lot of their beers are over hopped for the style.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that guy. I think a lot of their beers are over hopped for the style.

I disagree. Its obvious the waiter didn't know what they were talking about with regard to SA and hops.

I hate when people spout of crap they know nothing about but act as an authority on the matter. Its make me want to be a royal a$$hole to them. I take pleasure in being an a$$hole at times! :D

That said I view opinions and speculation quite differently. Its not a matter of authority.

I brought a bomber of Stone RIS over to a bbq last weekend to introduce some newly 21 folks to how dark a beer really can be. I figured, hey, let's not ease these people in...toss them in the deep end and get some reactions.

"This tastes like Guinness!"

I've found 2 major things that I feel many homebrewers and micro fans in general tend to forget...

1) Just because someone doesn't drink beer doesn't mean that they need to start off with a Blonde Ale or Mild. My Fiance doesn't like most of the beers I buy or have made, but she loves a good porter (The bourbon porter at the Ren Faire in PA was by far her favorite beer ever)

2) To us (with acclimated palates), the difference between a german lager and and a pale ale may be STRIKING, but to the uninitiated they can't tell. Even with a wider style gap, let's face it....beer is composed of the same basic ingredients. You may be able to see the differences between the maltiness and hoppiness of an English Mild and an American Stout...but to them they're still tasting Malted barley, hops, and yeast. Even an English Mild is a huge leap in flavor from a BMC.

my 2 cents :)

*giving my friend Dan a sip of my (I)IIPA/Barleywine*

Dan: AHH, OH GOD! *puckers and gags for a while*
Me: *laughs like Dr. Frankenstein*

I guess I took it more as a compliment. :D

*giving my friend Dan a sip of my (I)IIPA/Barleywine*

Dan: AHH, OH GOD! *puckers and gags for a while*
Me: *laughs like Dr. Frankenstein*

I guess I took it more as a compliment. :D

Hilarious! I'd take it as a compliment, too. Ya know, unless I'd actually made a really bad beer :D

My favorite was to a guy that didn't drink much beer...

I mixed a little of the morning's (COLD) coffee into just a touch of cold water.
He tipped it up and made a funny face....I started to laugh and point at him when he said "SMMOOOTH"

The grin fell from my face. :confused:

Last week I had some friends over, one is a beer drinker (huge guinness fan) so I thought he'd appreciate some of my brews. I poured him a sample of my Arrogant Bastard (not exact) clone.

He sips, then exclaims "Wow, that tastes exactly like Arrogant Bastard!".
"Well, it's similar, thanks", I say.
Then he says something along the lines of: "Man this one time we were on a beach trip and we wanted to get trashed, so we got a whole bunch of 40s of Arrogant Bastard and were poundin em! Man, we were so messed up, I must have drank like 3 or 4 40s of this stuff!".
"Uhhm...I think there's some Coronas in the fridge upstairs."

Last week I had some friends over, one is a beer drinker (huge guinness fan) so I thought he'd appreciate some of my brews. I poured him a sample of my Arrogant Bastard (not exact) clone.

He sips, then exclaims "Wow, that tastes exactly like Arrogant Bastard!".
"Well, it's similar, thanks", I say.
Then he says something along the lines of: "Man this one time we were on a beach trip and we wanted to get trashed, so we got a whole bunch of 40s of Arrogant Bastard and were poundin em! Man, we were so messed up, I must have drank like 3 or 4 40s of this stuff!".
"Uhhm...I think there's some Coronas in the fridge upstairs."

Was this dude prone to jokes cause man that sounds like he was having fun at your expense :)

No, unfortunately he was serious. I was shocked. Either they were pounding 22s and the thought they were 40s, he really thinks my AB clone tastes like Colt 45 (god I hope not), or he was trying to impress me, assuming that quantity always trumps quality and made it up? I don't know. All possible scenarios have him falling a couple of rungs on my ladder of respect though. :(

I often have a couple of beers with a couple of my neighbors. It is kind of like on King of the Hill. I saw my neighbor and called down to him, "Come on over, I have a new home brew for you to try." He brought one of his Michelob Ultras with him. My home brew was a really nice, well-balanced APA. It has good malt up front and finishes with a definite yet not to aggresive bitter. My neighbor takes a drink, picks up his Ultra bottle and asks, "Can you make something that tastes like this?" I replied, "I could, but I can't think of any reason why I would." We laughed, tipped our glasses to each other. He won't get a taste of any more of my home brews.

No, unfortunately he was serious. I was shocked. Either they were pounding 22s and the thought they were 40s, he really thinks my AB clone tastes like Colt 45 (god I hope not), or he was trying to impress me, assuming that quantity always trumps quality and made it up? I don't know. All possible scenarios have him falling a couple of rungs on my ladder of respect though. :(

Could he have thought a 1L growler was a 40oz bottle?

Some days are just made for too many drinks with friends. Should he have drank 40s of Shlitz? I would rather drink 4 growlers of AB. ;)

Back