Ipa Whole Hop Extraction?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
I have been Dry hopping an IPA for 2 weeks with 2oz of SAAZ whole hops and am now thinking I should have yoused pellet form. Has anyone had a hard time racking to a bottling bucket w/ this method? If so, howed did you do it? At the time I just dumped them in, now Im ready to bottle an kicking myself for not thinking ahead. Any help? cheers:mug:

gabe said:
I have been Dry hopping an IPA for 2 weeks with 2oz of SAAZ whole hops and am now thinking I should have yoused pellet form. Has anyone had a hard time racking to a bottling bucket w/ this method? If so, howed did you do it? At the time I just dumped them in, now Im ready to bottle an kicking myself for not thinking ahead. Any help? cheers:mug:

No problems. I do it all the time. Do you have that little black thingamabob on the bottom of your racking cane? You might get some hop crap in there towards the end but your whole hops are floating right? Tip: once you start getting down to about 2-3" from the bottom, tilt your carboy about 5 degrees to get most the wort out.

Put a sock on it.! A sanitized nylon anklet to be exact. Let it bag so more area is filtering.

desertBrew said:
No problems. I do it all the time. Do you have that little black thingamabob on the bottom of your racking cane? You might get some hop crap in there towards the end but your whole hops are floating right? Tip: once you start getting down to about 2-3" from the bottom, tilt your carboy about 5 degrees to get most the wort out.
What desertBrew said.;) I do it all the time, and I only use whole hops anymore. In fact, I'll be racking three dry hopped beers over the next week and a half - one tomorrow night!

I have an Auto-Siphon, which, IMHO, helps reduce any little stray leaves even further. But, even if/when they do enter your bottle, they'll fall to the bottom, same as your priming yeast.

thanks for the info fellow HB's , I do have the black thingy on the end of my racking cane and I am allway's tillting the carboy to get maximum wort. So I'll just keep on doing what i have been.

Back