Head "Stickiness"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logan

Reaction score
No no not head retention - head stickiness! :D

My beer has a very large head that stays put for a good amount of time. However when you tip the glass to drink the head follows the liquid. In other words I have a great head on my beer - but I don't get the notched effect that you get as you slowly drink a glass of beer.

What are the contributing factors to "stickiness"?? :mug:

Are you talking about "lace" like this?

20070730-emptyglass.jpg

Yes - I suppose thats why my searches didn't retrun anything hehe. So what affects lacing independently? Like I said I got a great head, but no lacing.

You know what commercial beer does this?... Duvel. It sounds like it might be a combination of a high carbonation level along with all those factors in brewing that give you great head formation and retention... done prefectly. I wish I had some of your problem. So, what's the recipe? Is it all-grain? What's the carbonation level?

Logan is saying he has great head and head retention but NO lacing. I believe that head and head retention are in large part a function of how many long chain proteins you have remaining in you beer. I also believe that final gravity has quite a bit to do with lacing. I find that in general (i.e., Duvel is an exception) dryer beers do not have as good of lacing. I know the newest BYO has an article about but I have not had a chance to read it yet.

5.50 lb Dark Dry Extract
1.00 lb Roasted Barley
1.50 oz Cascade [8.50 %] (60 min)
SafAle S-04

I've tried with a couple different glasses - same thing. I mean its not really a "problem" per say but I was just kind of curious was affected it.

Logan said:
5.50 lb Dark Dry Extract
1.00 lb Roasted Barley
1.50 oz Cascade [8.50 %] (60 min)
SafAle S-04

I've tried with a couple different glasses - same thing. I mean its not really a "problem" per say but I was just kind of curious was affected it.

Ahh crap.:mad: I was hoping it was all-grain so I could learn from you!:)

Back