Rope color?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5 Is Not Enough

Reaction score
Given a choice, would there be any benefits or consequences to any particular color of rope?

I'd think black would be bad as it would get hot.

Is there any colors that may help repel insects, particularly aphids?

Strange question. Rope with color would be synthetic and therefore pretty neutral.

I am wondering which kind of natural twine would be best. You don't want it coming down mid-summer!

coir yarn is THE hop twine of choice. I always thought sisal twine was OK, cheap and strong enough but coir is reusable, thicker, stronger.

You could also use bailing twine, pretty much anything that is fairly strong will work. Reusable is good but many home hop growers cut the whole line down, take it inside or someplace more comfortable and harvest it there. Next year string up new line for the plant to grow on.

I've seen Coir twine for sale when buying the rhizomes, I don't know where else to get it.

cheezydemon said:
Is coir pretty readilly available? Hardware stores?

I think it's a specialty item. You can buy it here..

This is the only place I could find it on the first few pages of Google Search results.

Back