Irish stout Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daren

Reaction score
HI I have not posted much but read the forum alot, and have learned much from it . Here is my problemeI bought a extract kit from my LHBS and it was for a Irish Stout it calls for 1lb of flaked barley that is not in the kit. I am just wondering if I could brew it with out the flaked barley here is the ingredient list
7lb LME
3/4 lb roast barley malt
1/4 lb black patent malt
1 lb crystal malt 80 L
1 lb flaked barley
1 1/2 oz nortern brewer hops
1 1/2 oz willamatte hops
WLP004 yeast

Thanks for any help I can get

Use 4 oz of Malto Dextrine instead (NOT Dextrin Malt - that's something completely different) for the mouthfeel.

It's a white powder that can be added at bottling time with your priming sugar. It'll thicken up the body.

I just looked at your recipe...what???? NO chocolate???;)

thanks for all the help I think I will brew it and see how it turns out.
nope no chocolate not brave enough to try it yet.

Irish Stout is the extract kit I'm getting with my "Everything" kit from Northwest. I was going to do a Shiner Bock clone from Austin, but hey, this kit comes with the Irish Stout included.

Knowing what Shiner Bock tastes like, I wanted to do the clone so I would have an idea of how well I did on my first brew. Maybe I can gauge by what Irish Stout most tastes like. Should it taste similar to Guinness or Abita Turbo Dog?

Zul'jin said:
Irish Stout is the extract kit I'm getting with my "Everything" kit from Northwest. I was going to do a Shiner Bock clone from Austin, but hey, this kit comes with the Irish Stout included.

Knowing what Shiner Bock tastes like, I wanted to do the clone so I would have an idea of how well I did on my first brew. Maybe I can gauge by what Irish Stout most tastes like. Should it taste similar to Guinness or Abita Turbo Dog?
It will likely be more roasty and robust in flavor.

Commercial (american) versions tend to have been "dumbed" down to suit more tastes.

Another alternative to flaked barley is simply using Quick Oats (yes, the kind you'd buy at the grocery store). THey are often used to enrich stouts and porters.

I think without the barley you will lose the ability to properly punctuate your sentences haha

Back