Climbing another step: Yeast Starters, Temp Controlling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 164322

Reaction score
Hello there! After brewing a few successful batches, I have accumulated a few questions that I think would help me make the next step in this great hobby.

1.) I have read somewhere that using two vials of pitchable yeast provides roughly the same amount of yeast as a starter will. Since I normally use 5 gal worth of yeast for my 3 gal batches, does this mean I don't have to concern myself with starters for the time being?

2.) I am a big fan of belgian-style ales and so I suppose I don't need to stray off from RT all that much, but I would still like some way of keeping a constant temperature. I am thinking of picking up the Fermwrap heater online but I would like to know your perspective before I make the jump.

Once again, thank you for your time!

1) If I understand you correctly, you're asking if you can forgo a starter with a 3g batch. I usually do, though it is best to check Mr Malty's calculator, because it depends on the size of the beer and age of yeast.

2) I don't know about Fermwrap as my struggles are all about keeping temps low. Putting the fermenter in a large cooler filled with water will reduce temp fluctuations a lot.

1. Depends on the gravity of the yeast, whether it's an ale or a lager, and the age of the yeast vial. Take a look at yeastcalc.com, mrmalty.com or brewersfriend.com. The pitch rate calculators are very easy to use.

2. I use a reptile rope heater in my ferm chamber, it works very well, I imagine fermwrap does too.

I have a fermwrap. I don't use anything to control it. My basement is about 65* in the summer and 55* in the winter so I only typically use it in the winter, depending on the yeast and style. I usually don't tape the whole thing onto the carboy, though. Sometimes it will get too warm.

When I fist pitch, I take temps on the carboy with an infrared thermometer a few times a day to see what the temp is. Then, I either increase contact or remove contact with the fermwrap. Not ideal. I'm considering a ferm chamber with a temp controller in my next setup.

Such quick and helpful responses! Thank you so much for the resources you posted.

Judging from the reviews, it seems that I would really have to be careful with the thing to avoid overheating my wort. Though next year I am hoping to acquire a secondhand fridge and a temp controller, so I think a fermwrap would a good addition to the would-be ferm chamber. Until next time!

It's way too general to say yeast starter = 2 vials of yeast... a 2l yeast starter could be as many as 3-4 vials worth. It depends on viability, starter volume, gravity, etc.

I've heard good things about fermwrap. Your temp of fermentation will depend on what the yeast wants - look on the vial or online, it will tell you. You should prob try to avoid RT as fluctuations aren't good.

I have had great luck with a swamp cooler and an aquarium heater. I got a cheapish heater with a built-in controller, I think I spent about $35 or so. Set it to 68 or 70 and drop it into the swamp cooler.

Back