I need a new burner which is best/save my marriage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure you could frankenstein an existing burner like the KAB4/6 into a custom brewing stand, but I'm not sure it really saves any effort or money. I feel like if you're going to wind up with a custom stand, then just start with a custom stand. The individual burners are about $45 each compared to the $80-100 each for the KAB's. You'd have to chop them up and you'd wind up with $135 worth of burners that you paid $300 for...along with some spare scrap metal and an extra two regulators.

The TopTier is really the only brewing system you can really "Grow into" since that's how it's designed.

(count down until someone tells you to go electric begins now)

I see what you are saying. I am not planning on building a system this year. So the burners will be on the floor for a minimum of another year, and possibly longer.

Doesn't matter. I ordered the Blichmann with leg extensions. :mug:

If I were building a stand sooner, I would have bought the individual elements, and incorporated them in the design. As it is, I will just roll with the Blich, and see where it goes from there. Who knows, I may go with a top tier eventually.

Electric, yeah, that would be nice too. Never know. ;)

I just completed a 10-gallon all-grain batch. I have a turkey fryer burner purchased at costco a few years back. It looks like a banjo burner. It took 1.5 hours to get to a mediocre boil.

Just curious did you leave the lid on or off while boiling?

I had the lid on. Just periodic peaks so I didn't reach boil over. After about an hour I think I would have preferred a boil over.

jackson09 said:
I had the lid on. Just periodic peaks so I didn't reach boil over. After about an hour I think I would have preferred a boil over.

Say it with me: DMS

My Blichmann burner came in the other day. WOW! I see why people say "just get the Blichmann." "It's worth it." "It will last you forever."

This thing is crazy heavy, well built and solid as a rock....well, a stainless steel rock. ;)

Here are a couple pics to show you the size in relation to my old rusty turkey fryer burner, and the beauty that is a Blichmann burner.

IMG_0284-L.jpg

IMG_0283-X2.jpg

Looks like you got that thing dialed in. I just put 3 of those in my new single tier build. Well worth the cost. Good call on getting the legs.

My Blichmann burner came in the other day. WOW! I see why people say "just get the Blichmann." "It's worth it." "It will last you forever."

This thing is crazy heavy, well built and solid as a rock....well, a stainless steel rock. ;)

Here are a couple pics to show you the size in relation to my old rusty turkey fryer burner, and the beauty that is a Blichmann burner.

IMG_0284-L.jpg

IMG_0283-X2.jpg

Nothing quite like a proud new Papa. Congrats.

fifthcircle's pics remind me of the infomercials with one product in full color, the other in black and white. "Just look at the flame on this full-color Blichmann, whisper quiet and shiny steel. Your old, rusty black and white burner hurts to use, and is just plain ugly as well!" :mug: And yes, I do have burner envy. Kyle

fifthcircle's pics remind me of the infomercials with one product in full color, the other in black and white. "Just look at the flame on this full-color Blichmann, whisper quiet and shiny steel. Your old, rusty black and white burner hurts to use, and is just plain ugly as well!" :mug: And yes, I do have burner envy. Kyle

HAHA!! Maybe Blichmann should give me some kick backs for good advertising?

I actually put my 10gal pot on it and thought, "this burner might be too big". It is very easy to turn it up enough that the flames start running up the sides of the pot. If you are using a pot smaller than 15gal, I think the cheaper turkey fryer with the same (looking?) burner will work fine. BUT, if you plan to go bigger in the future and don't want to buy another burner ever, get the Blich.

i would spend at least two full days doing nothing but brewing, if youre lucky she will pack up her stuff and leave.

Back