How Much Longer Do I Need To Wait?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncaMarc

Reaction score
I've previously listed all the batches of cider I have going. How long do I wait before drinking it?

What I've tasted so far is putrid. No fizz, no apple flavor, no dryness, just nasty.

And people say their cider has cleared? Mine started out as fresh juice, very brown. It's now a golden yellow, cloudy. Even with pectic enzyme. Nothing clear about any of them.

Here is one of the recipes I'm trying:
Pressed 6 gallons fresh apple juice from our orchard 9/23/12
Held juice at 40 degrees F until 9/25
9/26 juice at 62 degrees
added 1/4 tsp potassium metabisulphite
9/27 Specific gravity 1.060 at 70 degrees F pH 3.6
Added 3 tsp Pectic enzyme
Added 6 tsp yeast nutrient
Pitched Safale SO4 yeast
10/18/12 racked to secondary, specific gravity 1.002 at 68 degrees F

I'm not a cider maker but I don't see anything off there. 6 months to a year would be a good start. Cider is more akin to wine than beer. It takes time.

Try adding more pectic enzyme and/or cold crash to help the sediment fall out. If that doesn't work it may be time to try fining agents like bentonite, or just drink it cloudy. The other problems can be remedied pretty easily as covered in the other thread.

Don't be discouraged, you're almost there!

6-12 is not needed for common ciders but may be helpful for other styles.

If i remember right safale so4 is the english yeast that likes to suspend its self. That stuff takes awhile to clear. You may want to try stabalizing and using bentonite.

US-05 is the yeast you wanted to use. it drops clean pretty well.

Back