Rasins in my cider creating lots of gas???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckeating

Reaction score
I have fermented a really smooth three apple blend of juices (3 gallons) and added 1 cup of corn sugar (OG 1.063). I then pitched the yeast (Llavin 71B). After 15 days in the primary I sampled the cider and took a gravity reading (1.009). The cider tasted amazing, like a smooth champaigne. Before I put it into secondary, I heated up rum (100ml), raisins (1 lb.), cinamon sticks (1/2 oz.) and honey (1 lb.) to 140C for 10 min. I then turned off the heat and let stand until it cooled to 80C. Afterward I put all of that into the secondary carboy and put the cider on top. SO, here is the question... After 7 days in secondary (with no airlock action), I have the rasins rising to the top and they seem to be letting off a lot of gases. IS THIS NORMAL??? I say it is letting off gases because 1) the airlock is bubbling every 5 seconds 2) you can see what seems to be carbonation bubbles coming off the rasins and 3) a white, head like foam forming on and around the raisins.
It seems to me that it would be unlikely to be some type of bacteria becasue the ABV was already in the 7% range when put into secondary... but I am not for 100% sure about that.
Please help or at least a bit of insight would be useful.

Thanks!!!

Sounds fine to me.
A couple of years ago, a cider with rasins I brewed fermented for over a month.
I couldn't believe how strong and long, it just kept bubbling.

It turned out to be a great batch of cider.

The honey would also feed the yeast.

Basically you have just tossed a bunch more fermentables in.

Back