Midwest's Irish Red turned into an IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swifty

Reaction score
So, I have an Irish red on my shelf and was thinking that I could make it just about what ever I wanted that was red in color. I think I want to make it an IPA.

I have a bunch of CZT, Warrior, Tettining, and Northern Brewer laying around. Any suggestions on how much at what point for a good citrisy or piney IPA? Do you guys think the Muttens dry yeast will work ok?

Thanks!

A red IPA would be interesting. I am no IPA expert, so I cannot help too much with the hop schedule, but I would be wary of the Munton's yeast. It has been known to be a slow starter. Do you have the standard yeast, or the "premium gold"? I would definitely not use the standard yeast in anything other than a very basic, low gravity ale.

Instead of the Munton's, I would suggest Safale US-05. I tend to think of it as my "house strain". It is a great all-around yeast that works well in most styles of beer.

Just go with a normal hop schedule you have used for an IPA previously. Lakefront Brewery out of Milwaukee makes a good red hoppy beer called Fixed Gear.

I am not familiar with those hops or your preference in bitterness but I would try.
1oz Warrior 60m
1oz CTZ 15m
1oz Northern Brewer 5m
1oz CTZ 2m

I like later hop additions with less bitterness.

Sounds like our tastes are pretty close. Thanks for the posts guys.

I made my Midwest Irish red kit into an IPA, looking back at my notes the kit had a fairly low SG so I added 3lb Briess extra light DME and hopped as follows:
1oz c/c @ 60
1oz c/c @ 15
1oz c/c @ 5
1oz c/c @ 0
2oz c/c @ dry hop
US-05
SG 1.070
FG 1.012
Abv 6.7%
(c/c is 70% cascade and 30% columbus, I couldn't get a hold of centennial at the time and that's pretty close)
That beer was my 5th batch ever and first batch with steeping grains. I was very pleased with it.

I just made my Austin Irish Red last night.

I think it will turn out hoppier than I expected. Had a lot of fragrence with it.
Also, the OG reading was higher than I expected.

Be sure to post the results of your experiment!

I blew up my knee so this might get pushed back.... I will post the results though.

I have. Nothing wrong with it at all. I'm becoming more of a hophead as I get deeper into this hobby. I think it's rebelling against my youth in some weird way. I drank a ton of MCB stuff and now that I've found the real beers I'm a go big kind of guy. That Pliny kit did some real damage too.

Good point though,

Swifty

Enjoying one of my few left now after having a couple of Ryepa's. You can't beat the Irish red backbone with all the c hops piled on. Really good beer.

Back