Recycling Bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the day of returnable bottles, I could buy cases of empties from my local beer store for the price of the deposit: $2.00 per case!!! Since those bottles were meant to be reused by the brewery, they were sturdy -- a bit thicker than current bottles. I still have many of those bottles that I purchased in the '70s and '80s. Now, I supplement with non-screw top bottles my family and friends save for me since I rarely buy beer. As others have mentioned a day or two soaking in oxyclean and most labels just fall off. The oxyclean leaves a bit of a powdery residue that I don't care for, so I rinse the bottles, then soak in a vinegar and chlorine solution (1 oz. of each in 5 gal. water) for a day. That leaves the bottles sparkling and ready for use. I also check each bottle when sanitizing to make sure there are no chips or cracks. The modern bottles are noticeably thinner and more susceptible to damage. :mug:

Jacob_Marley said:
Try local banquet rental halls particularly the nicer ones. They do a lot of weddings, and weddings serve sparking wine or champagne often.

Good idea!

Heh.. I always say:

"You can always spot a homebrewer. He's the one surreptitiously picking up the empties at a party"

I hate it when people bring Heineken to parties. Those labels are hell to remove... :D

Back