My lager is smelling ... sharp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
On Friday I brewed up a recipe for a Dortmunder, I did not alter the water profile but I did add some hops (.75 oz Hallertauer) that I had laying around to the mash in the hope of increasing acidity and grain conversion. During the boil I added Hallertauer and Saaz according to this recipe:

http://www.brew-dudes.com/dortmunder-export-recipe/459

According to BeerSmith this did not take me out of the IBU profile for a Dortmunder.

Since I transferred to the primary for fermentation there has been steady action in the airlock for two days and a light krausen. I left the home from Sunday night through Wednesday. When I returned, I opened the freezer and got a minimal rhino fart smell. Took a whiff from the airlock and got a strong astringent/hop smell. Not offensive, just really strong.

This is only my second lager so I don't know if this is indicating anything or not. It seems to me (and again, I am a rank amateur) that this might be a sign of a seriously unbalanced, and overhopped, lager. Please tell me I'm wrong!

Not sure on the hop smell but I bet you are ok. The rotten egg smell I have read that this is normal for lagers. I actually mix rum and starsan in my airlock. It seems to kill the smell.

Latest posts

Back