Sight glass and thermo on Boil Kettle - separate or kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFP51

Reaction score
I am planning on putting a sight glass and thermometer on my 10 gallon stainless boil kettle, and am debating whether to use two separate pieces or one of Bobby M's or Bargain Fittings combo kits. The positives I see in separate holes is the ability to mount the thermometer higher on the kettle (heating on a turkey fryer) and mount the sight glass lower. The advantage of the combo kit seems to be cost (saves about $15). Any opinions from those of you who have kettles set up either way?

Thanks in advance.

I would prefer a 2 hole setup. one for the sight glass that is lower, and one for the thermometer which i would place just above the middle point. Mounting the thermometer higher should give a clearer reading as to the actual temp and not be as influenced by the burner. If you use some DIY ingenuity (or search the forums) you can find some pretty cheap alternatives to buying kits.

I have the combo from Bobby M. and it kicks arse. If it's for your boiling kettle (which mine is on also), the height of the thermometer is not important since you'll be using it for the cooling of your wort and no burner is involved. If it's boiling....it's 212.

I don't see any benefit to trying to marry the 2 aside from one less hole drilled. My sight glass, from bobby is on the side of my vessel and my therm is on the front.

I thought about this too before placing my order with Bobby and I decided I wanted the option to put the therm where I wanted it not placed somewhere out of convenience.

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. I think I am going to spend the extra $15 and get two pieces. If nothing else, it is more tinkering time which is really half the fun.

Back