stalled fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dansmith13

Reaction score
Liberty Cream Ale from Midwest went into fermenter on 2/26 and was bubbling within 12 hours. It was going at a pretty good rate for another day and a half and when I checked it today it seems to be at a dead stop.

Has my fermentation stalled? Is this normal?

I've only made a few batches before and it's been several years so I'm just looking for some reassurance or help. Thanks.

Is there any foaming action on top of the beer at all? The starter I pitched had the krausen pushing against the lid! And I mean,2-3 days in,I was watchin vids with my wife,& heard plastic creaking like an old wooden ship! 4-5 days in,the krausen went from brown to tan,& only half an inch high. It just takes a few days for the main fermentation phase to slow down,it seems. It may be just finishing up,then will clean up it's own wastes. Don't worry yet,some dogs eat their own turds,too...:drunk: lolz

Thanks unionrdr! I haven't popped the lid off to check, didn't want to if I didn't have to. I may if I still see no signs after a while.

I forgot to mention that I used distilled water which I later read that a lot of people say is a bad idea. It was too late when I read that so I guess we'll see what happens.

The only way to know if fermentation is complete, stalled or underway is to take specific gravity readings with a hydrometer.

You're welcome! Don't open the lid if you don't have to. But,on the other hand,(& I had to remember this too)-CO2 is a heavier gas than O2. So O2 can't displace the CO2 under it. So if you're not too rough,you could take a quick peek if you use the bucket fermenter. You might not be able to see through it as well as the translucent Cooper's fermenter I have. And my lid is clear,but I can't really see through it from condensation that usually sit on it underneath. It's worse this time from the brown krausen coating it. But I can see well enough through the side to gauge it. But you do have to remember that airborne yeasts & other nasties fall downward. So be brief.
They also say that distilled water doesn't have the trace minerals that the yeast,& thus styles of beer are partial too. There are volumes on that subject. Home brewer tv shoes that one,as well as one on yeast. I used natural spring water,some commercial breweries do as well. Cleaner,crisper flavor so far...

Thank you all. I read your posts and that link posted by rivernin.

I was equating the airlock with fermentation and now I realize that was wrong. I am going to wait and check the hydrometer reading in a few days as directed and go from there. Thanks!

+1 to taking a sample and getting a gravity reading on it. But it's possible that fermentation could have stalled if you had a huge temp drop after those first couple of days. No biggie though, get it back to the ideal temp range and give it a gentle swirl to kick the yeast back into gear, which should help get things going again. If not and your readings show that you're still a few points above your FG, you can repitch yeast to get the rest of the job done. Just remember, you don't know if fermentation has totally stopped until you start seeing the exact same hydrometer reading over the course of several days. If it even drops by a single point, stuff is still happening in there and you should leave it be.

^^^+1. My 1st batch stalled the next morning after a weak start with dry yeast. Got the temp in range simply by throwing my old,fleece lined CPO around it. Pour thing got cold shocked with that brutal pounding mother nature gave us a month ago. Then,just swirled the fermenter around a lil bit. It got going again,albeit slowly,by the next morning.

Thank you all. I read your posts and that link posted by rivernin.

I was equating the airlock with fermentation and now I realize that was wrong. I am going to wait and check the hydrometer reading in a few days as directed and go from there. Thanks!

Yes, that's the best way to go about it.

Active fermentation can be over in as little as 24 hours, or take a week. The length of time it takes really isn't at all important. The only way to know if the fermentation is stalled vs. finished is by gravity readings. I'm betting it's finished, and letting it sit now to "clean up" a bit will be the best thing to do.

Thanks unionrdr! I haven't popped the lid off to check, didn't want to if I didn't have to. I may if I still see no signs after a while.

I forgot to mention that I used distilled water which I later read that a lot of people say is a bad idea. It was too late when I read that so I guess we'll see what happens.

Distilled water is fine with extract brewing. That way you know you don't have chlorine or chloramines in the water, so that can be a benefit! You can use bottled spring water, too, with good results.

Good one yooper. The spring water really does a good job. The lil yeasties seamed to enjoy the trace elements. Not to mention way better flavor. Just glad my lil "learned" experiments worked...

Back